SCOTUS Halts Wisconsin's VoterID Law; Texas Law Overturned

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 9, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For those on the political right who thought that disenfranchisement like this was only a myth being spread by the political left, I hope you are prepared to tell a federal judge that, because that judge completely disagrees, and ruled as such.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin needs to revisit their plans, as there's no real chance of resuming their VoterID law by election time.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-wisconsin-voter-id-law-texas-law-on-hold-too

BL.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's amazing how the left fights against making sure that the person voting is who they say they are... I'm thankful, my state, Georgia has a Voter ID law that has been in place and working for years.

3. zin macrumors 6502

Works in what respect? What is the law accomplishing?

Do you have data to support this claim that it "works"?

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No one is against it, as a matter of fact, I was surprised to learn that an ID isn't required to vote in some states. With that said, haphazardly implementing the voter ID law when it will clearly negatively impact mostly democratic voters who lack the means to comply with the new law is dirty politics. Each state should be required to devise an approach to ensure that anyone who is a registered voter has ample time and help if needed to obtain a proper ID.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh yeah, Georgia really has their shot togather regarding voting. :rolleyes:

http://www.henryherald.com/news/2014/oct/06/georgia-leaders-worry-over-42000-missing-voters/

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't you know there are roving bands of liberal hit squads using nefarious methods, assaulting precinct after precinct casting hundreds of bogus votes to upset conservatives victories during elections?? :p

Consider that the "old" system worked for a couple hundred years until conservatives realized that they could not win elections consistently and honestly so they decided that roadblocks that hinder those demograghics perceived to vote Democratic, a direct assault on our cherished democratic values, the-end-justifies-the-dishonorable means, loose our souls, but win at all costs was the best road to take. This is one of the MOST disgusting, Hypocritical un-democratic characteristics of modern conservatives. Did I make my point? ;)

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, instead of coming to terms that your party's platform is being rejected by the American people, it is easier to convince yourself that voter fraud must be widespread despite having absolutely no evidence to support the theory.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed, they argue voter fraud and also have a bridge to sell you. ;) This effort is the major conspiracy perpetrated around the country by GOP State controlled legislatures to disenfranchise a segment of voters.

----------

You are thankful that Georgia has done their part to subvert the democratic process? Btw, voter ID is not the only anti-voter tactic being used by GOP controlled legislatures. There are moves to limit early voting and close polling places. Can you explain that away?

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Lots of overturning of laws lately. Must be the "liberal agenda" in action. :D

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Georgia has had more minority voters in the last two presidential elections than in previous ones. It continues to increase. We've had Voter ID for two presidential elections. How bizarre.

Our early voting lasts for a week but is not open on Sunday. There was initially some pushback about the closing of the polls on Sunday but then it was observed that very few people actually voted on Sunday during the early voting. In addition, we have absentee voting without requiring a reason. No ID is required for absentee voting. Signature verification or address verification is used.

State issued Voter ID is free. Any of the 159 county registrars offices in the state can issue one or the DDS (think DMV) can. Ironically, those are the places where you register to vote.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Wisconsin's voter ID law (halted by SCOTUS) requires absentee voters to include a photocopy of their photo ID when they mail in their ballots (source). What are your thoughts on this policy? I apologize for singling you out but you are the only pro-voter ID poster on this thread so far.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I like the way Georgia does it for absentee ballot. They verify by signature or mailing address. When you registered you signed. I don't think Photocopying the ID should be needed.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm glad to hear that Georgia is so considerate. :rolleyes: This does not seem to be the case around the country as GOP sponsored voter bills are falling left and right.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/opinion/brazile-early-voting-rights-ohio/

Maybe you can tell me how the new State Voter ID cards are better than the voter registration cards that have been in use for at least the last 4 decades?
    Do you honestly believe that voter fraud is a real issue?

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The Voter ID cards are State ID's. They have a picture on them. Voter Registration cards have very little information and aren't meant to identify the voter. They are meant to tell the voter where to vote at.

No, I think that voter fraud is a small issue. However, I also think that voting is something that is important enough to protect. I think that we should make sure that it is one person, one vote.

With all the dirty pool in politics, do you think someone won't start trying to swing elections? They have been cases of voter fraud in the past but they are hard to catch, and even harder to prosecute.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have no problem with voter ID.

All I've asked for is an adequate period to allow people to obtain IDs once the rules change.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The following was reproduced from my post in another related thread on this topic.

But the ID laws are not just about fraud. Read the Supreme Court case of Crawford v. Marion County Election Board (2008), written by Justice Stevens (no conservative, he). He identifies legitimate reasons for establishing voter ID requirements in Indiana, including election modernization and issues surrounding that, preventing voter fraud, and safeguarding voter confidence in the process. He discusses these at some length, and makes these comments regarding voter fraud:

In a footnote, Stevens cites one particularly colorful example of voter fraud:

He also cites a section of the report by the Commission on Federal Election Reform chaired by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James A. Baker III where they discussed voter fraud:

In fairness, I will add that Stevens did recognize that getting a photo ID may impose a burden on some people, but that it was not a significant one today:

So yes, it is a real issue with real consequences.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now what could be the cause of that?

Can't ... quite ... put my finger on it.

Must be because of the voter ID law, right?

19. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The TX and WI ID laws were passed in 2011. Is 3 years not enough time?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

With over 30,000 voters having not received the adequate ID, clearly not.

Again, your side keeps arguing that these should be provided...so why the hell after 3 years have your leaders not gotten the ID's they claim are needed out to these people? IS three years not enough time?:rolleyes:

21. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Why is it that Democrat groups can easily and efficiently organize buses to transport their constituents to the polls, but cannot assist them in obtaining the proper IDs required by law? Is three years not enough time? :p

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I completely agree with that. From the time Georgia's law passed until it was actually implemented it was around two years.

For those not local, it was obviously Barack Obama's election in 2008 but the turn out was still even higher in 2012 which some can attributed to President Obama. The other thing that we've had in Georgia is the fact that there is so much that you need an ID for here. Many counties require carding of everyone to purchase alcohol or tobacco products. Many prescriptions require an ID to pick up (narcotics, I think). Hotel check in, check cashing, even using a credit card. So ID has just become common.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your joking, clearly, but the onus to provide ID's is on those who put the law in place, not the people who are under it's rule.

It certainly isn't on a political party that is against the law to provide the requirements put in place by the other party.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's the most logical explanation IMO.

25. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

It's up to the citizens to comply with simple laws regarding voter ID so that all of us can have confidence in the process. As Justice Stevens said, it's really not a big burden to get an ID these days. Read my lengthy post above for all the reasons why.