SCOTUS Slaps Down Presidential Abuse of Power

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I looked at the topic list and imagine my surprise at not seeing a thread about the 9-0 SCOTUS decision that President Obama overreached his authority with his recess appointments to the NLRB during a time when the Senate was not in recess. All nine justices agreed that the appointments were unconstitutional.

Three recess appointments to the NLRB are all invalid. Any decisions these three have been involved in, are invalid. National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning. This case is a pretty serious slap to President Obama.

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It's good SCOTUS made the right decision on this one.

It's pretty clear the President was trying to skate on a technicality and bypass the legislative.

This is a perfect example of checks and balances at work, and should be studied, taught, and discussed in high school, and college level courses going forward.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

So I wonder if he'll actually be able to get any appointments through to those positions. I mean, he has had a rather rabid group of opponents who seem to be against him putting anyone in any position.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Seems like a clear ruling in line with the law.

Now, can we make the Senate being in "recess" illegal? What the hell do we pay them for if they're in "recess" half the time, and the other half, they're wasting their time bickering like kindergarteners instead of governing?

For all the whining we hear about Obama playing golf, Congress takes off way more time. Oh, and their approval rating is way lower.

7. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Just because the House or Senate are not in session it doesn't mean that they are not working. The Representatives have offices in their districts and the Senators in their states. That is why it appears they are only working half the time. Reach out to your Representative of Senator and see if they will be in their office over the next recess.

July 4th, most of them will be out kissing babies and shaking hands. You know working on getting reelected by attending all those picnics.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Then why hasn't much been getting done during this last session?

9. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Not much is getting done during this session because the House is controlled by Republicans and the Senate is controlled by Democrats. The House has passed many bills that the Senate has not taken up and the Senate has passed many bills that the House has not taken up.

The 110th Congress from 01/2007 - 01/2009 and the 111th Congress from 01/2009 - 01/2011 were controlled by the Democrats. The voters at the end of 2010 decided that they didn't like the direction the country was heading and gave the House of Representatives to the Republicans in an effort to derail the Obamatrain.

It has been very successful. With the two parties at loggerheads, very little major legislation is being passed. One side is focused on cutting spending and the other side is focused on raising revenues. To make matters worse, we've had a "My way or the Highway" voice coming from the Oval Office. As a result, very little is making it through. But that isn't a bad thing. It can be argued that we have too many laws.

10. sixrom macrumors 6502a

POTUS campaigned on hope & change. He promised to bring the parties together.

Now he is the Great Divider, Instigator & Tormentor. It's no wonder he fails to get politicians to work together.

But hey! He and FLOTUS are living in retched excess, taking lavish trips on us. What more could a King want?

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Just from the Oval Office? :confused:

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They spend more time working on getting re-elected than they do governing.

This is a load of nonsense. You can try to spin it any way you want but that doesn't change the fact that Republicans were the first to draw the line in the stand and say they wouldn't work together or support a single thing that Obama supported. It started day one of Obama's term before he had a chance to do a single thing, so laying the blame on him is a cop out.

Republicans: throw the country off the cliff because you don't like the President being black, then blame the black guy afterwards.

13. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I believe that the "My Way or the Highway" is only coming from the White House. Sure both the House and Senate have their differences but every time I see the President take the Bully Pulpit, he's almost daring the House Republicans to defy him, then acts hurt when they do.

Recent Presidents, Bill Clinton and George W Bush have had to deal with opposition Congresses. Both houses, not one. They were still able to get things done. It can be argued that many of Bill Clinton's greatest achievements came when the Congress was opposition. His last two years is when he had a balanced budget, actually a surplus budget.

I believe that they were able to still get things done because they didn't grab a lecture and insult the other party. Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton will never be best of friends but they sure managed to get things done.

During the government shut down, the Democrats and the White House were perfectly willing to keep the government shut down forever. The Republicans finally realized that for the good of the country, they had to capitulate. There was a time the two parties would have made a deal.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Then it's obvious you're looking at this through special partisan glasses.

----------

I thought SD was partisan, but you're showing him up!

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I heard he even plays golf sometimes! He has some nerve.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

You forget, Senate Majority Leader Reid went nuclear earlier this year and did away with the filibuster for many executive nominees, so if anything, the President will have an easier time of getting nominees through. All it takes now is 51 Democrat senators to push the nominee through.

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Good. That's why we have CHECKS AND BALANCES.

----------

We need a separate thread so that new people can see what's really going on with Obama.

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The House has passed many bills, but they get stuck in the Senate because Harry Reid has total control over the agenda. Reid has put himself and his caucus at the disposal of the White House. Winning political battles—sticking it to the GOP—is their priority, not constitutional balance. Mr. Reid has made himself White House gatekeeper, sitting on thorny votes, earning Congress public scorn for dysfunction. His members are meanwhile happy for Mr. Obama to pervert the law, since it saves them taking tough votes.

What's really sad is that this president was elected with more good will from the American people since Kennedy in 1960. He promised to bring people together to do good things. But since he's been in office, he's been combative and insulting to anyone and any party that's disagreed with him. "I won", he said, implying that he could do whatever he wanted. He could have done a lot of great things, but he's squandered the opportunity by his belligerent behavior.

As SD mentioned, SCOTUS gave him a stinging defeat on the recess appointments he made to the NLRB. Yet the very next day, Friday, in Minneapolis, he doubles down on the practice, and says he's going to continue:

It's shocking that this guy once taught Constitutional law. The President should reread the Constitution he used to teach. The document is designed to make change slow and difficult, which is why the Supreme Court twice this week did not accept Mr. Obama's failure to persuade Congress to move his agenda as justification for breaking the law.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Why is it the only two people who responded are both partisan?

----------

Translation: One thread for me to bash Obama isn't enough, I needed another.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Both parties are doing the same thing. Let's be clear about that. Both don't care about constitutional balance. That term is just a political tool both parties use when it suits them.

The GOP House behind Boehner are about winning political battles and sticking it to the Democrats. Both parties have caused the scorn from the public towards Congress.

Don't kid yourself if this issue can blamed on just one party. And it doesn't look to be getting any better.

It's this partisan BS is the issue. And voters are treating this like a sports rivalry. One side sucks while their team is the best. No working together. My way or the highway.

Everyone is to blame. The politicians and the voters who freaking put them there because they will only vote Democrat or Republican depending on which side you're on.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why exactly shouldn't this topic have its own thread? A 9-0 SCOTUS decision doesn't warrant a separate thread because it goes against President Obama?

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

9-0 speaks volumes. The entire SCOTUS said that Obama has overreached. Not one justice was able to justify it and side with the administration.

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is a very good ruling

Obama did over reach, and it will stop this from happening during this Administration and every one from now on.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

It's like you haven't been paying attention to Hieveryone. Also, no, not every topic needs a new thread. If it is being discussed in another thread, and discussed well, it doesn't need a new thread.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is buried in a thread about Boehner suing President Obama, it is not exactly a similar topic. A 9-0 decision against the Obama administration is a worthy topic for its own thread. If you didn't think it needed its own thread, then perhaps you shouldn't have posted in it.

And in case you didn't notice, but Hieveryone didn't start this thread.

But somehow, I believe that if this went against a Republican, you would have been the first to post about it.:rolleyes: