SCOTUS to Investigate Alabama Gerrymandering

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 12, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Caught this this morning, which calls under scrutiny Alabama's gerrymandering in 2010. If deemed unconstitutional, it calls into scrutiny the changing of the landscape to affect the vote; in particular, the 2012 and 2014 elections.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/12/363375057/supreme-court-case-seeks-source-of-alabama-gerrymandering

BL.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Irrelevant because it focuses on keeping the Hispanics all in one district, as to not dilute the black vote? Or irrelevant because it was drawn by Democrats? Or irrelevant because it is not a southern state that you hate?

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Nice straw man you are trying to build; and this is a true straw man, and not a SD Straw man.

I never stated anywhere that I hate any southern state, let alone any state period. Please find where I have stated it and post it, otherwise retract.

Second, this shows that you didn't even bother to read the article. no-where listed in the article was anything relevant to the Hispanic vote. Stick with the topic; if you want to argue Illinois, start another thread.

The point of the article is that Alabama and states in the south have a history of voter discrimination and redistricting based on race, which is what the Voting Rights Act and previous SCOTUS rulings have addressed. SCOTUS is now looking into whether this meets the same criteria that the other redistricting did that caused them to rule as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965#Coverage_formula

Illinois wasn't covered by the Act.

You may want to debate the merits of the article and the issue than trying to build yet another useless case of "us versus them". You play that record too much, and like others, it gets old and scratchy.

BL.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So only the southern states should have to district fairly? It's okay for northern democrats controlled states like Illinois to gerrymander their districts to keep the Hispanics from diluting the black representation?

You may have missed Voting Rights Act Section 4 Struck Down By Supreme Court. You can't require certain parts of the country to have different laws when deciding voting districts than others.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree.

----------

I agree that all gerrymandering is bad, but the northern US states don't have the same history of racism so it isn't quite the same.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, but as I quoted above the SCOTUS has already ruled you can't apply the law differently to southern states from northern states.

10. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet another straw man you are trying to build. Did I say that it was okay for the blues to do this? If so, please post where I did. And I am still waiting on where you state that I hate states in the South, especially since my parents come from the South.

I never said that they did. And I didn't neglect the fact that it was struck down. From the OP:

Further from the OP:

If this was found to be done under racial intentions, SCOTUS ruled that that is unconstitutional. Not which party did it, not Left vs. Right; IT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Both parties would be guilty of this.

You keep wanting to make this an 'us vs. them' issue, when the issue is the act of gerrymandering itself. Put aside your partisanship and useless straw man builds actually debate the issue.

BL.

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

More on this from SCOTUS, via NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/12/36357...ighs-race-and-politics-in-gerrymandering-case

BL.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In the words of a poster here called Souther Dad, "Don't put words in my mouth".

Whats amazing to me is that the states that were freed from the reviews needed for their elections by the court, chose THE VERY NEXT DAY to implement their voting schemes.