SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KPOM, Nov 10, 2016.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

Who do you think Trump will appoint to fill the Scalia vacancy? Who do you want? Also, how many vacancies do you think he will get to fill before 2020? I assume that if Democrats control the Senate or can filibuster that no vacancies that arise during 2020 will be filled until after the election (just like 2016).

2. chown33 macrumors 604

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

One for sure, potentially 3 if Ginsburg and Kennedy bow out. One is 83 and the other is 80.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Trump will pack SCOTUS with arch-conservatives in their forties who will sit on the bench for the next four decades.

Elections have consequences.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My hopes?

Rand Paul the closest thing we have to a true Constitutionalist in government.

Ted Cruz worked as a clerk William Rehnquist.

7. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Cruz would be ideologically closest to Scalia. The GOP Senate would confirm him to get rid of him.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sounds good to me.:D

[​IMG]

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Too speculative. But I will step out on a limb and predict ...

Trump will appoint a human being. I probably won't like any of the human beings Trump appoints. And the number of human beings that Trump appoints will depend on the number of human beings who retire from the Supreme Court or die while serving on it.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Might be four justices, as it's been reported that Clarence Thomas is pondering retirement.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That would be a neutral/no gain.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Rand Paul is an ophthamologist.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Rand Paul would be a strange choice. He has never studied or practiced law. He is been a politician, but it's a different kind of role.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

Cthulhu and Yog-Sathoth are gonna be disappointed.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The last non-lawyer who was even trial ballooned for SCOTUS was Mario Cuomo.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think the Democrats should give the Republicans a taste of their own ******** and filibuster them all. Then I woke up and remembered the Democrats have no balls.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The GOP will go at nominating the SC justice the old fashioned way, but if the Democrats filibuster they'll just enact the nuclear option (which is what Reid suggested would happen when it looked likely the Democrats would win back the Senate).

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

People also said Trump wasn't going to be elected. How'd that turn out.:D

Have you ever seen Rand school some people on the Constitution? I've been a fan of his since he ripped EPA officials a new one regarding low flow toilets.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

I think Cruz would be an excellent choice.
    He is young, too.
    He'd be in there forever. :D

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Forever, until I die...whatever works.:D

21. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Interesting. I'm guessing Breyer will hold out to see if a Democrat wins in 2020. Ginsburg may try, but she has health issues so I'm guessing she retires.

Replacing Thomas won't change the ideological makeup, but Thomas has replaced Scalia as the dissenter-in-chief in cases where Kennedy sides with the liberals. If Kennedy retires, my guess is that the Democrats will filibuster unless Trump appoints a "moderate." We'll get a good glimpse at their resolve after Trump reveals his appointment for the Scalia vacancy.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would guess most of the conservatives on the court will retire to ensure their replacements are also conservatives.

I expect the Republican congress to overreach and give the Democrats a good chance at taking back the Senate in 2018, and after that election they 2020 one will start and based on the precedent that the Republicans set and the voters affirmed the Senate should stop all appointments to let the voters have their say. So 2 years isn't a lot of time for Trump to get many Supreme Court appointments through.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Janice Rogers Brown is too old. :( But man would she make the left go ***** nuts.

Maybe Michelle Bernard.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    The map does not favor that in 2018.