Scratched back plate. I hate being OCD!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbachandouris, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I love reading the stories of people who have their phones 'naked' for months at a time and never get a scratch, but I'm not that lucky.

I have a gash (maybe even a small crack, not sure) on the back of my iPhone 4s and it's right on the Apple logo. Of course, it couldn't be off to the side where I can't notice it.

I have AppleCare plus, but I don't want to waste a claim on a gash less than a 1/4" long. If it was cracked, paying the $29 fee would be ok, but at this point I'm not sure.

I'm not really asking for sympathy here, it's just that I needed to tell somebody who might understand.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I thought it was $49 for replacement.

3. drkryn macrumors member

Buy a case. Cover the scratch/crack and move on.

4. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

With the introduction of AppleCare plus, I'm not sure about prices or what's covered.

Logic says I should just buy a case and cover it and when or if it really breaks, replace/repair it then.

Unfortunately, I'm not always very logical. :(

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have a small scratch/crack at the bottom of my white iPhone 4S where it says "FCC". It's interesting cuz my phone has always had a rubber case covering the back. If it cracks to the point where I can see the insides of the phone, I'll get it replaced.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have AppleCare plus and Apple swapped out the back plate for around $30, and it did not use up one of the two replacements allowed.

7. ap3604, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

That's what ticks me off, I DO baby it. When it's on the nightstand, a tissue is under it. When it is by my chair, a lens cloth is under it. When its in the car, it's on the seat alone or by itself in my pocket. If my son uses it, it goes inside an Otterbox case before he even touches it. Yet with all that care, it's still scratched.

If I buy a case, it's at least $30 (for a good one-in stores of course).
    If I replace it myself, after buying the special screwdriver and maybe shipping, what do I save? Maybe $10?
    If they replace it $29 (or maybe free if I get lucky)

9. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

let me flip the breaker switch and see if the pics show up

10. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

If you're so anal about scratches, why don't you have a case on your phone anyway? I mean, making sure you're protecting your phone with tissues, lens cloths, etc etc at all times must be exhausting. Or at the very least get a clear skin (Zagg or something similar) if you like the look of a naked phone. Personally, I don't like Zagg protectors, but then again, minor scratches don't bother me.

11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

OP, if it were me, I would just use one of my $49 replacements. $30 plus tax for a new back screen or $49 plus tax for a new phone. Seems like an easy decision to me.

12. ap3604, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I assure everyone on this thread that having scratches and fingerprints and such does not make you OCD ;)

If you are truly OCD you will be doing things like flipping light switches on and off repeatedly until it "turns off correctly" or opening and closing doors repeatedly until they close satisfactorily.

You'll basically have this idea that if you don't do something in the correct way, or in a correct order something terrible will happen.

But yes, it does suck that the back was scratched. :/

14. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Wirelessly posted

I figured out how I scratched it:

A customer was just about to recycle his 26" Panasonic tube TV. I needed one for the basement for the kids, so I snagged it. I keep my iPhone in my front pocket. I must have pushed that heavy tv against my leg to lift it. So that must be it. I swore I took it out before I lifted it, but I guess not.

I guess I could replace the back cover and tell myself I paid $29 for a decent TV...

On a brighter note, the TV has a really good picture and the former owner says he'll mail me the remote.

15. andyx3x, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

andyx3x macrumors 65816

There is nothing wrong with a refurbished phone. The phone is sent back to Apple and a new front, back and battery are put in. If there are any problems with the phone, those are fixed as well. In many ways, a refurb is better sometimes than a brand new one. It's tested way more.

That's the reason that some people only buy Apple refurbs instead of new products.

16. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Just buy a replacement back off of ebay for 20$ and remove the two bottom screws and put the new one in! It will look brand new and won't void the warranty if you use a correct colored one (Black/White). It amazes me sometimes how people don't think to look at this alternative instead of letting Apple almost "own" their devices and what they can do with them.

17. taedouni macrumors 65816

I think people misuse the term OCD a lot. Not wanting the back of your iPhone to contain any significant scratches is not OCD. The majority of the population feels the same way with their devices. OCD would be someone for example who cannot tolerate a piece of paper have a single crease or wrinkle. If it does then they will rewrite everything onto a new piece of paper.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    According to Apple's website, refurbs are basically tested the same way that new phones are. Which didn't help the first time the bad device got sold.

I buy Apple refurbs because they're cheaper, not because of a fantasy that they're somehow better.

They're not cheaper because they're more desirable, and they're certainly not considered better than a brand new one... unless you'd like to back up that idea with a swap with me next time you buy something new :)

19. JAT macrumors 603

The thing with refurbs is that many refurbs are junk. Apple's are not. At least, that is what the discussion point should be.

I was shooting hoops with the kids today, phone fell out of my pocket onto the blacktop. Still no scratches or anything after one year. Bumper works great.