Scratches on iPhone 4 bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheShadowXX, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TheShadowXX macrumors regular

I saw the thread about using sandpaper and then using metal compound on the stainless steel bezel, I was just wondering if anyone has ever just used a microfiber towel and rubbed in some mothers metal polish to get rid of the scratches. I don't want to ruin the finish by sanding so I figured just maybe using some metal polish would work. Btw I've already tried vinegar and it did nothing.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. TheShadowXX thread starter macrumors regular

I want to see if anyone else has done it before and what the results were, I'm scared I might ruin the finish or something.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The procedure is, always start with the mildest agent. Try some toothpaste first, rub it good, several applications maybe required. If no result then move to the metal polish.

If using bumper, just leave it alone.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Sandpaper veteran here. You have to sand the stainless steel for hours to get the desired polish. A little metal compound will not hurt. But also likely not help.

6. TheShadowXX thread starter macrumors regular

would toothpaste actually do anything? I never heard about that before

yeah that's why I don't think its worth it to sand it :/ I just wish I could get rid of the scratches some other way. By the way I just tried using mothers metal polish and it didn't do anything :(

is there any other way besides replacing the actual bezel? (which i've read is a lot of work)

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U put some elbow grease into it right? If so, looks like replacement is your last option.

8. TheShadowXX thread starter macrumors regular

yup :(

9. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

From my experience with polishing motorcycle parts on a custom Harley, very fine sandpaper followed by progressively finer polish will achieve a mirror finish like chrome. It will not have the mat finish of the stock stainless steel. If scratches are deep you have to resort to a power buffing wheel. That could damage the plastic surround for the glass, so I would only use this as a last resort if at all. This is all risky and hard to do around buttons. Mothers polish just doesn't cut enough to remove scratches. Like i said if you are more aggressive the finish will be mirror like except at button margins.

10. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't care too much about a scratch as long as its not on the screen. I've had my iPhone 4 for more than 2 years now and there are scratches everywhere but on the screen, so I'm fine with it. At least, I'm not afraid anymore to, we'll, scratch it up. :) (except for the screen, that is)