Scratches on jet black out of box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tkmcguire1, Oct 15, 2016.

1. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

my jet black iPhone has scratches on it and I just took It out of box,there are a few small ones then these dot like scratches. I don't know if I should just not worry about it or what I should do.
    I included pictures below
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

4. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

I don't see anything, use flash

Edit: nvm I see the dots, looks like faulty casing. Still not something to return it over imo.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's your iPhone. The scratches in which you indicated, are minor enough where they are not visible from your pictures. If your not satisfied with that, Apple will offer you an exchange. However, I think a Jet Black iPhone is likely to show scratches rather you exchange it or not. So in theory, it's likely You will deal with this with the Jet Black color.

6. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

They are small and only visible in certain light,I'll just deal with it for now. I knew this was an easily scratchable model but didn't think it would come with scratches already on it,but looking at the forum it seems this is a common occurrence.
    Being that this model is sold out everywhere it would probably be hard to get a replacement and I really don't want another color,the jet black is unique and different,it's what made me come back to an iPhone as I've been using android since iPhone 5.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Depending on your location, the Jet Black color is actually starting to become widely more available and in stock in the Apple stores. You can check on Istocknow.

8. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I'm in Oklahoma,I just checked istocknow and there are none in stock in any size at all.

9. Conan86 macrumors 6502

even if you receive a flawless phone, these little things would show up pretty fast.. I'd recommend you to test if it has any other issue then decide if it is worth your while to start the exchange game.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The front bezel of my matte black was scratched out of the box, light caught it every time I worked on the phone. Waiting on a new one.

Flaws out of the box is pretty common with Apple.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Depends on how you want to use it. If you want to use it with a case and protect it, it's an issue, if you want to use it without a case , soon you will have a few other minor scratches and will not worry about it at all. The worst scratch is the first one :)

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If these scratches are going to bother you I suggest you get it returned and go to the matt black instead. The JB phone is going to get scratched no matter how careful you are and even if you put it in a case.

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

People are getting scratches just by putting cases on them. I would get the black and not look back. My matte black is gorgeous and don't regret it one bit.

15. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry too much. It's going to pick up microscratches as soon as you start using it anyway. Just enjoy your new phone and stop looking for faults.

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It's just a phone. Enjoy it and realize it will get scratched but who cares as you'll probably get a new one in 1-2 years!

17. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

Take it into an Apple store and see what they recommend. I'm sure these things are tracked through every stage of production. Who knows -- maybe they will want you to trade it so they can research how it made it past Q/A with defects.

They don't look too bad imo but you purchased a new phone. If you believe it should be flawless out of the box at that price then exchange it. If not, enjoy :)

18. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

If it were mine, then I'm afraid it would be going back. Can't say I've checked, but I very much doubt their product description says anything like "It is to be expected that this item may suffer from minor production flaws....."

Way I see it, an expensive premium device like an iPhone should be pretty much perfect out of the box. Any marks on it should be my own doing/fault, and I shouldn't have to accept manufacturing imperfections as "it's going to get scratched/scuffed anyway".

19. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

20. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

I would recommend you get a replacement, I wouldn't like to have them on my phone, especially out of the box, for a phone priced at what it is you shouldn't be receiving a phone with scratches on it out of the box.

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Very true. Cases can be the culprit of scratching iPhones, with debris being inside the case and running against the device. And the downside aluminum, once scratched or Dented, it's permanent.

22. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Nobody is talking about the Matt black - read the thread title! (Unless you are deliberately trying to rub salt in the OPs wound)

23. clerkpalmer macrumors member

Apple's senior advisor told me scratches may occur "during shipping".

24. Gzalito macrumors member

:rolleyes:

25. Speedy Dingo macrumors regular

Speedy Dingo

I'd be more concerned about that ceiling fan-looking imprint on it... :D