Scratches on the lid of my MBP made by Apple Repair Centre

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Aug 12, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys!

I just have a short question regarding my situation.

Today I have received my MacBook Pro (alu, late 2008) from Apple Repair Centre (a little company working for Apple and repairing stuff here in one of the cities in the Netherlands. I have been sent to them by Apple Customers Service)

I need to say that I am very careful with my stuff (especially my MBP) and try to keep it in a perfect condition. So, today I have found out that there are little scratches on the lid of my laptop, near the Apple logo. They are not so huge and deep and seem like little black lines on the surface of the lid. You can see them only if you look carefully.
    One thing is for sure: they haven't been there before the repair! I care about my laptop and tried to keep it scratches-free. Now that repair centre screwed my intentions.

What should I do and what can I do? What do you think, guys?

I think that the repair centre or even Apple would declare me insane and refuse to replace the lid. I can see that the scratches are not such a big problem, I just keep thinking of them while using my machine...

Why can't those people just repair my laptop and handle it as it is supposed to be handled?.... :mad: It makes me sad...

Have you ever been in the same situation?

2. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Own up. You made those scratches yourself but now after handing it in to Apple for repair you want to blame them in the hope they replace your laptop. We have seen it all before. :rolleyes:

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As shambo said, you can't prove to use, or to Apple that YOU didn't make those marks. Too many people try to blame the service centers' now for cosmetic damages, when it was actually the owners fault.

As he said, stop trying to get a replacement, it's a cosmetic issue... SO WHAT? Oh no.. A scratch after 10 months, what on earth can we do? :l

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

You're totally right, guys! I guess I should just move on! Thanks :rolleyes:

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I had the same thing happened to me while my uMBP was in for repair. Fortunately, I took pictures of my uMBP prior to shipping it out so Apple had no other option but to replace my entire housing.

6. Panzo macrumors 6502

+1 i always do this, every damn time, apple store or not.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

:rolleyes:

Wow. I am at a loss for words. Really...Wow...

To the OP:

When I went to visit the genius bar at the Apple store, he just flipped my MBP over and put it on a bare table on the lid. He wasn't careful with it at all, and I had to stop him and put down my sleeve as protection. Then he gave me a dirty look.

They just don't care about other peoples' property. They are probably are hired from the GAP.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

So you two wouldn't object to me walking up to your car/computer/girlfriend and putting a few scratches and dents, right? As long as it still works eh?

Op I see where you are coming from but unfortunately its a he said she said with the burdon of proof on you. Without that you'll have little recourse.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I disagree with shambo. This would not be the first time we would hear a legitimate complaint about Apple Repair causing scratches.

Calling out people like that is fine if they want to show us pictures of the tablet or details on when an Apple Notebook is going to be released, not so much when it is a legitimate complaint.

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

No doubt I DO have scratches on my car after handing it in for MOT/repair/service but the fact is I'm NOT looking for them afterwards nor trying to pass off my own accidents as caused by others as many are want to do. Jesus just read these boards for examples like 'I have done x/y/z can I get a replacement from Apple'. Fact is accidents happen so live with them and quit blaming others.

11. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Accidents happen, but you don't need to push your frustration out on people who don't necessarily deserve it.

This isn't uncommon, and while it might be a minor thing to you, to some people it might mean a lot. You =/= entire population.

What if the OP wasn't looking for them specifically, they were caught when they looked at it happily after getting it back. I've gotten my car back from a repair shop with a considerable dent next to a front headlight that clearly showed they hit something at a slow speed. I got angry. It's the fact that you take care of your things, and trust someone else to do the same when you have no other choice than to send it off, and expect it back the way you left it as that is what they are paid for.

To the OP, I'd recommend trying to get used to it, as I don't see much you can do, you can try covering it up with something maybe? A case, or sticker or something?

12. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post ever made.

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

What a jamoke, IF you take a min and think, those people that are trying to scam start off by saying, "I scratched my computer, can i get apple to replace it?"

What good would this poor guy gain by coming here and making up this story to us. he has the luxury of anonimity here, so it makes no sense.

Plus I have had this exact thing happen from my apple store.

3 month old machine, left there for a repair. picked it up and inspected before i accepted delivery and sure enough, one big scratch the length of the lid. they gave me a new machine on the spot.

3 tips:

1) make sure you go over the machine with the person you are dropping it off with and tell them you are anal about scratches (especially ones they may put on) and have them document ANY imperfections and get a work order that states the condition before you leave.

2) take pics as the other poster said.

3) upon pick up, inspect it. take it to the side and look it over BEFORE you sign saying you have picked it up. this is key. if you take it out of the store and then start screaming about scratches, they WILL say you did it after you left. BUT, if you call them on it before you accept it back, and you have the paper that says it was pristine before they accepted it. you got them by the balls and have a great case to get it fixed.

14. otispondscum macrumors newbie

think shambo is expressing personal frustrations beyond what the OP posted.
    lol.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes accidents happen. But the point is that some users think that if Apple charges x to replace a case, and your case has no scratches and then acquires them under the care of Apple, they should pay for it. Railing on new users without warrants is wrong, save that speech for those users that deserve it.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sending my MP in for repair resulted in gouges across the side. I was pissed until I realized they were giving me a brand new box.

That being said, I took pics before it left my hands. Had they forced me to keep my original machine they would have been replacing the case. Upon dropping it off I made them understand I had documented the condition.

Apple repair centers are not careful and couldn't care less about the cosmetics of your machine.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That was really mean. You are making accusations when the OP did not insinuate any of this.

18. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

taking pictures before sending out is a really good idea.
    could someone elaborate on what angles they take the pictures at?
    i mean, do you guys all do macro shots of every side and shots of the inside? serious question. I may be taking mine in for a faulty hinge soon so just want to be safe. haha

19. MBP09 macrumors member

You could always take a pic of someones pristine macbook pro and tell them that was your pic. I mean how can they know.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah you bring up a good point, how can u prove that it's your machine when you have pictures.

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have learned to do the following when submitting my MBP for repair...

1. Take some high resolution photos of all angles, including one with the day's paper.

2. Fully document and print out a sheet disclosing any/all tiny blemishes you caused and are noting before they take possession of the Mac.

3. Show them both and ask them to sign off or at least acknowledge EVERYTHING there is and IS NOT on the Mac

4. AS SOON AS YOU GET IT, OPEN IT UP... LOOK IT OVER FROM ONE END TO ANOTHER ENSURING NOTHING NEW IS THERE. IF ANYTHING NEW IS FOUND, ASK FOR A MANAGER IMMEDIATELY AND SHOW PAPER AND PHOTOS OUTLINING THAT THE ISSUE THAT OCCURRED WAS NOT THERE BEFORE.

This doesn't help you for this time, but it's worth anyone's time who is turning their "baby" over to Apple. I am sure some of the people care about their customer's Macs, but I am sure others don't give a crap and have bad days and take out frustrations by not using surface protections or being careful with tools when working on units.

Good luck.

22. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Obviously "innocent until proven guilty" and "benefit of the doubt" is not in your vocabulary.

23. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for your comments, guys!

This is the situations: I did take photos of my MBP before taking it to the repair centre.

This picture shows that my laptop is completely scratch free:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This are the scratches (below the Apple logo) I found on the lid after the repair:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scratches are not big at all and visible only if you hold the laptop in a specific way.

Don't know what to do now...

24. klee1987 macrumors regular

I am viewing this thread on a 13" MBP at about half brightness and I can't see the scratches in your pictures.......maybe you should indicate where they are?

As they are so difficult to see I reckon there is a good chance that they were there before. You probably assumed, when you got the machine back, they have scratched your machine somehow so you really scrutinized it. I'm not saying you did it, it's just a speculation.

25. o2xygen macrumors regular

Its happened to me, I took mine into a 3rd Party authorised repair center. Came back with scratches on the bottom, I just ignored it. Lets face it, its going to get scratched eventually anyway. Plus, when I did the repair survey Apple sent me regarding the service, I told them all about it.