Scratches out of metal band

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
I have a few light scratches on my metal band, does any one know what I could do to get rid of them? Like tooth paste etc

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
I have a few light scratches on my metal band, does any one know what I could do to get rid of them? Like tooth paste etc
You can use the hard side of a sponge and scrub it out LIGHTLY. Make sure to use even pressure and go in one direction the whole time. Don't use toothpaste or bananas those are all don't work, and they will end up getting into one of the ports or just scratching it even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61rNjo73jg

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I wouldn't bother trying to get rid of the small scratches on the metal band unless you are about to sell it. More scratches will just come back. Sooner or later your gonna be doing more harm then good constantly scuffing them out.

Shenaniganz08

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
I wouldn't bother trying to get rid of the small scratches on the metal band unless you are about to sell it. More scratches will just come back. Sooner or later your gonna be doing more harm then good constantly scuffing them out.
exactly

Apple uses a Media Blasted Finish

Not a brushed finish

Sanding could cause the finish to get shinier, but more than likely it will just look like you sanded the area in one direction = bad idea

the iPhone has a media blasted finish, you cannot replicate this. All you are doing is masking scratches by making more scratches ( I.E. a brushed metal finish)

If you use a polish you will make the problem worse by having shiny spots and dull spots. In fact most of these "scratches" are actually just worn down/polished areas of the metal band

Just leave it alone