Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Hi, Does the apple brand case that comes with, lets say my 10GB iPod, scratch the lucite plastic front. I have been using it and the front is scratchless, but is it going to get scratches on it from the case itself. I heard the back got scratched with the little tag, so i tore that out, plus i have a PDA screen protector on the back, so no fingerprints or scratches!!! I am getting my iSkin probably monday or tuesday, but I truly like how compact the apple case makes the iPod when its in your pocket compared to the other crap that i have used to carry the iPod around.

P.S.: Does anyone have the URL from the place that either sells those iPod wraps( the ones where you could customize your own design and they would sell them to you) or at least a blank template. I just want a clear one so i can put it on the front of my iPod so I can just carry it around without worry of scratching
the screen. Thanks!!!!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
my iPod case scratched the back by the case and the scratches on the front of mine was due to negligence on my part :)
compared to my 3.5 month old iPod, the replacement is in much better shape.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
so does the tag actually scratch the iPod? Ive been really really careful with my iPod but for some reason, the back is scratched up and Im confused like hell.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by hui__lim
so does the tag actually scratch the iPod? Ive been really really careful with my iPod but for some reason, the back is scratched up and Im confused like hell.
i have no idea, probably everything from the tag to the way the case is built. Even if you are careful it's bound to get scratched.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
well, dammit, i just found some very tiny scratches on the lucite front, ***** apple case! I just put it away with that useless remote. My iSkin comes tommorrow or tuesday, so I will have that soon and i will be careful throughout the house with it.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
don't freak out. They are just scratches. You remind me of this
guy I know who would go beserk if you bent a page of his book,
scratched something of his, or scraped the cheese off the top of
his pizza. Anything along those lines.

Why are you worrying so much about scratches? :confused:

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
scem, not going crazy over the scratches... well especially if it is not our fault. I mean, would you prefer a scracthed up iPod or a nice scratch free one? Just makes it look nicer as well. Does anyone know where to buy iSkin or a cover for an iPod in the UK?
Thanks

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
if you don't want scratches you have to let it sit in the box. Just like some people letting their cars sit in the garage all day.
you can order iskin online. I did.
It makes your ipod bulky and ugly though.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Havent got my iPod yet, but have a clie and some other toys inc the PB ti. Think its kinda cool to have a slightly used or slightly scratch toy/working tool. but I know what you mean by having it nice and kinda feeling. Dont know about the iPods but metal polish gets rid of minor scratches. I use it on my Ti PB, Clie and my Ti mountain bike, when I get the chance. I use a metal polish by castrol from a mountain bike shop pretty cool but must say that you should only try this at your own risk. I did and it gets rid of minor scratches and not deep scratches..

ONLY TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OK. ME NOT responsible, just suggesting.. :p

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
My iPod has scratches, no biggie, it gets used everyday, my Ti book is beaten to sh*t, been travelling on my back for two years, this will happen, if they weren't so good I wouldn't use them half as much, and they'd look prettier.

What would you rather have, a pretty ornament or a kick-a**e peice of PC-crushing tech?:D

Sure, proper cases are a must, but until Steve releases the anti-entropy update you're going to have to live with it.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
wow yinyang, this does look sweet. Has anyone tried it? Well since my old iPod 20gb was scratched i decided to leave it scratch and carry it in my pocket. Just recently bought the new 30gb iPod. I currently use this http://www.speckproducts.com/ipodskinsnew/flex-away-flap-movie.htm
Fairly neat as it allows you to dock easier with your iPod. The bad thing, is that like with all iSkin things, its makes the new iPod look like the old iPod's size haha

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by yinyang
i'm just waiting for my 30GB iPod to arrive, but have also ordered a case from booqbags (http://www.booqbags.com), but want the bodymask to protect my iPod even in the case. anyway the bodymask is only US$5.50 so you can't really go wrong :)

There's something about putting a "sticker" over my entire iPod that doesn't sound too appealing. Then there's this from the product's website:

"We ARE NOT responsible for any damage to your iPod that occured during or after applying the BodyMask."

Um, I think I'll pass...

Paul Fuchs

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2003
St. John, USVI
I just got my 15 GHz last week. I use it as a construction plumber but have been really careful to keep it in its case, yet I already have scratches on the Lucite. I frankly don't care about scratches anywhere else, but when the window gets scratched it's harder to read the damn thing. I'm a geezer, and my eyes are bad enough as it is. I suspect the scratches did come from the case tag, and are on the window because I put it in "backwards."

Anyway, ten years ago I had this Omega watch with a Lucite face which was scratched to hell because I would forget to take it off when repairing my car. My next door neighbor was a jewelry designer and he looked at it and said, "No problem." He polished the face with jeweler's rouge and a felt wheel on a grinder. Jeweler's rouge is this ultra fine powder made of iron oxide. Well I just Googled a jewelry supply company and ordered a 6" cotton buffing wheel and the rouge. Cost a total of $28 with shipping, but I have other uses for it and have the grinder already. Felt wheels are also available for Dremel tools and would probably work well with jeweler's rough. Before I polish it, will tape over the ports since I don't want this stuff inside. I think my watch was a lot more "water proof" than my iPod. Will post my results in the future.
:)

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
just found a cheap DIY way to create your own 'wraps' - have look at

http://www.podpac.com

they sell a pdf pattern that lets you create a wrap in any material you choose, and for US$1.35 it seems pretty reasonable!

now you don't have to worry about any adhesive residue flowbee : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.