[Scratchgate] 6/6+ glass softer than on previous iPhones: fact or fad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giggles, Nov 28, 2014.

1. giggles, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

giggles macrumors 6502

So, it's been, what, 7 years now. By now we all know how these fads work. Anything, anything will be picked up and magnified. Often to be completely forgotten just a couple of months later.

This discussion is about determining if this time is "for real" or just the usual fad. I don't wanna live with a screen protector because of a fad.

I do know there's already the "Hairline scratches" thread but that's a broader (or vaguer) topic with people talking about the oleophobic coating, "what if" sapphiregate scenarios, screen protectors, warranty policies at the Genius Bar, etc. (please don't dilute the discussion with those topics, if possible)

This thread is specifically about the hardness (and hence resistance to scratches) of the glass on 6/6+ compared to previous iPhones.

It's a widely accepted fact that the average user (i.e. not carrying diamond cutters or sand in his pockets) could use every iPhone before the 6/6+ without any screen protector with no big risk of scratching its glass (or at least no visible scratches), even with occasional keys in the same pocket. You can quote me on that for the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. I don't know about the original, 5C and 5S.

Now, if you are
    - a 6/6+ owner
    - who used previous iPhones without screen protectors
    - and isn't using a screen protector on the 6/6+ either

are you finding the 6/6+ glass to be more susceptible to scratches than previous iPhones in terms of hardness?

Because that's the core of the issue and what a "scratchgate" would imply.

Alleged worsening of quality control, alleged rushed choices because of sapphiregate (??? how do you manage to make the glass SOFTER than every one of the previous eight iphones by virtue of pure "rush"?), blah blah blah that's all background noise.

Something is either softer or harder than something else.
    Something is either able to scratch something else or it's not.

So, can the latest iPhones' glass be scratched by "that same keychain" that wouldn't scratch the previous eight iPhone models? Yes or no. Plain and simple.

ps:
    if you're a Samsung employee, please refrain from posting, I'm tired of reading carbon copy "I'm never gonna buy apple again" fake reports like a lot of the ones here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765

edit: since the astroturfers landed here too, I want to point out that I won't take seriously any post "casually" mentioning an Apple competitor or a particular screen protector brand (and neither should anybody reading this thread)

2. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I had a iPhone 5S that lived in my left front pocket along with a set of Apple ear pods. After a year absolutely no scratches.

A iPhone 6+ didn't survive a month before a very fine scratch appeared.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Its the oleophobic coating that gets scratched ...its the same thing every single year and people complain and say the same thing..."the iPhone 5 is more scratch prone then the past iPhone 4S,"

"The 5S is more scratch prone then the 5"

Etc etc

It is the oleophobic coating that scratches easily that is on top; and also a bigger surface area so obviously it does have a higher chance to scratch but it isnt any more "scratch prone" then past iPhones

And no, the screen cant get scratched by keychains or keys or even a knife, countless videos online show this

4. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I have scratched almost every phone I have owned. Most I couldn't figure out how I did it since I have never dropped them and they were light scratches. Keys won't but one small grain of sand will scratch a screen. If the screen bothers me I would have a protector installed and hide them. Now with the glass protectors I get them from new. I haven't put one on my 6 plus because I don't like the feel of the edge. No scratches yet.

5. Itzamna macrumors regular

4, 5C and 6... No scratch on any.

I don't carry them near any object. My phone is always inside a sleeve (no case) and in a specific pocket with nothing else in that pocket. If i'm wearing a jacket my phone is in the inside pocket, if not, i care it or in my hand or in my jeans left front pocket.

I never used a screen protector...

6. dickydoo, Nov 28, 2014

dickydoo macrumors newbie

Yes. I had an iPhone 5 for 2 years. For the 2nd year I removed my screen protector and there were no noticeable scratches till I sold it. Based on that experience, I got a launch iPhone 6 and decided there was no longer the need for a screen protector. Within the first few week I noticed hairline scratches that could be seen in the sunlight at an angle (without actively looking for them), and one that actually caught my nail when running across the screen.

Luckily I found dust under the screen and got a replacement. For this one I put on a screen protector immediately.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I have a bunch of scratches on my 5s screen, they're not very noticeable unless you look for them. Couldn't care less about them.

The 6/6+ screens have more surface so I'd expect them to accumulate more scratches.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I doubt this is a new issue, but nonetheless can't wait for the iPhone 6s (the s stands for sapphire)

10. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry but I find it hard to believe.

I read a story like that from a user with 10 posts and with a mention of a particular screen protector brand.

Then I open youtube and find videos like this one:

http://youtu.be/BMCaisHnXg0

Mostly invisible scratches to the oleophobic coating? Probable.
    Nail-catching-deep scratch? Within a week and without a particular scratching incident? Hard to believe.

11. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

With each and every phone we have used a screen protector. iPhone 3, 3G, 4s, 5 and 6 plus. As well as the Note 3 and tablets.
    I have removed the screen protector from the Note 3 and a year later, there are no scratches. Many times I believe it's the users fault.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Jesus can we stop about the "gate" this and "gate" that? Just say it as it is.

13. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

The answer isn't to use a screen protector. I certainly won't, nor do I use a case. The coating is crap on the iPhone 6. It's scratching within one day of use. That's not user error.

14. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Every phone I've had, from iPhone1 thru 5s has gotten scratches from being in the same pocket as keys. I moved to the Note 4 just a few weeks ago, and while it hasn't scratched yet, I'm sure it will. It happens.

15. dickydoo, Nov 29, 2014

While I can't prove that there was a scratch or not, I can prove that I did return the phone using the pixel excuse. You can choose to believe me or not.

Your Apple Store Work Authorization  Service Confirmation.jpg

BTW, I usually lurk and avoid posting precisely because of antagonistic posts like this. The number of posts I have should have no bearing on my credibility. I never mentioned a competitor, and only mentioned a screen protector brand because I'm a fan and feel they deserve a shout out. I can take the brand out of the original post if you'd like.

16. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't wanna be obnoxious about it as you may just be genuinely reporting your experience, but

- was it dust or a dead pixel?

- not sure if that's policy, but nice of the Apple genius to declare "Cosmetic conditions: out of box" for a phone with microscratches "visible at an off angle without looking for them" and a nail-catching dent in the glass

As for the added disclaimer to the thread, I know it may sound paranoid or obnoxious but you gotta draw a line somewhere, otherwise it becomes extremely hard to draw conclusions based on this kind of thread.

17. dickydoo, Nov 29, 2014

It was dust that looked like a dead pixel. I told the genius that it could be either/or, I wasn't sure. He just wrote dead pixel. Also, you forgot to mention that the scratches were "visible at an off angle in sunlight without looking for them". I was in the store, and we were testing the dead pixel issue with the screen on. Of course he's not going to see any scratches. I never pointed them out to him as I didn't think he'd take that as a good enough excuse for a replacement.

I also want to mention that while one scratch was nail-catching, it was not noticeable to most people unless you're anal-retentive like me.

18. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

19. kepler20b macrumors 6502

i think this is production quality control issue.

ive had two 6+s.

I returned one because it had legitimate screen issues, unrelated to scratching, and i had it for about 1.5 weeks. It had zero issues with scratches running naked in that time frame.

my new 6+ is going naked now for a good 3 weeks and ive also had zero issues with micro scratches. I dont lay my phone face down unless i know it is a soft surface.

i also daily wet a napkin and wipe down the surface of the phone with just plain water. no scratches here but they wouldnt generally bother me if i accumulated some. I just prefer my phones naked.

i'm inclined to believe it is simply a quality control issue here.

20. dickydoo macrumors newbie

My girlfriend has the exact same phone as I do, and she's left the screen naked since launch, with no scratches. So I would tend to agree that it's probably a problem with a particular supplier for the screen.

I was definitely jealous that I had scratches and she didn't.