Scratchless iPhone and other items?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan.apham, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ryan.apham macrumors member

I'm just wondering if you folks can manage to keep your iPhones and other personal possessions at their pristine level. I have OCD; but I can't at all be careful with my stuff. I mean, my iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, belt, leather wallet and watch (all expensive stuff) all must have at least a scratch or a dent (not heavy, but visible enough so that they make my eyes sore and my mind crazy). Am I too extreme (it's normal to have scratches here and there) or I'm just being not careful? How should I get over it? I've owned all 5 generations of iPhone, I'm going to buy iPhone 5 as well; but before every purchase, I promise myself to be careful with my stuff, but at the end, it happens again and again... (Plastic cases/bumpers don't always help; silicon/huge ones ruin the aesthetics).

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Assuming you're serious... things ding, dent, squeak, rattle, and break. Every single thing around you is in a constant state of decay/breakdown. EVERYTHING. Also, nothing is perminent and things change in an instant. Every watch has a scratch, every car has a thump, every phone has a nick. If you always strive to keep things in the condition they are in when you first get them, you will have a stressful path to ultimate disappointment.

3. ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

I know that :(. I know the theory of Wear and Tear. But some people, like my parents - they keep their iPhones and watches in pristine condition, which makes me wonder why I couldn't...:confused:

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

So do whatever it is that they do...

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

This may help

I used to be OCD too. I still have a Palm Tungsten in perfect condition up to this day. Mind you it hasn't seen much use for years.

Then one day it dawn on me that my body is always in a state of decay. Nothing is perfect, and many things that are great are things that wear out over time, like almost everything in this world.

Just take good care of what you have and enjoy it now. If something happens to it, that's life. Years from now the fact that you dropped your phone when you got out of the car would seem so insignificant that you won't even remember it, but that you got out of the car and met a good friend for dinner on a glorious autumn night will stay.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I was paranoid OCD about my first car that I ever bought "on my own". It was a black Honda civic Si. I got it with navigation, I put the body it on it, I even got custom HID projector headlights made for it. I kept it so shiny and scratch-free, it got looks and compliments all the time.

Then one day on my way to work I got hit by a 17-ton dump truck. In less than a second, all my hard work and stress over every little tiny blemish was worthless.

Moral of the story: Well, I shouldn't have to point it out to you...

7. tonedef407 macrumors regular

I'm right there with you, and I think it is a disorder that is easy to criticize and say "just get over it." It really isn't that simple. It is irrational and the person suffering from it usually can see that better than anybody. You just have to be realistic and try to let go slowly but surely. Don't feel bad about it because others suffer from it to.

8. Appleseeds macrumors regular

God. I am so sick and tired of hearing the term OCD.
    It's making my stomache churn. Are people really that fricken stupid.