Screen Burn

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
From an AppleCare document:
An image can be burned into an LCD panel if left displayed for an extended period (approximately 24 hours, depending on the image and LCD). However, unlike monitors with a cathode-ray tube (CRT), an LCD panel recovers over time and eventually dissipates the image.

To allow this recovery, the display panel must be turned off. The time it takes to recover depends on the original image and how long it was left on the screen. It generally takes between one and two times as long to remove the image as it took to burn it in.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I run an old mac (as a plot server) with an old CRT monitor on it at the office, the thing was left on for nearly 3 months (no sleep function) and the screen has slight ghosts in it.

From what I have seen, after 6-8 years its about time for a better monitor anyways.

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Hey I have left my Studio display on over a 2 day period on accedent and had no screen burn.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I didnt think you could have a problem with lcd would you?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Does anybody actually have an explanation as to why screen burn happens? I'm just curious, do the pixels just get stuck in a certain colour?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As far as I have heard, screen burn on LCDs occurs especially with dark colors since the screen has to switch its pixels to the "on" position to block the light coming from the backlight. So they suggest using a light colored desktop image to prevent this kind of sticking...if you leave your screen on for extended periods.

In the interest of power saving and extending the life of monitors, I typically turn mine off when I know I won't be using them for over 30 minutes, or so.

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
screen burn eh?

I used to leave my old 7500 on with an Apple 17 inch screen, not for 24 hrs though. Thank god my screen is ok. But hey if you find your screen a little burned, just think it's not as bad as the Mrs. Pac-Mac machines down at your local arcade. Those screens will have those crazy mazes burned in them for all time... poor arcades...:(