Screen doesn´t work

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 4QUARIUM, May 9, 2014.

1. 4QUARIUM macrumors newbie

Cheers Everyone!

my macbook has a problem that really worries me a lot. The screen does not work. When I turn on the computer it flashes once and then all black. The white light near the infrared on the right edge of the computer also stops when the screen stops. The computer is working coz I connect it to a LCD and I can work with it.

I have the software up to date. The only thing I did recently was that I had a problem with my printer and I had to uninstall it and install it again and then I had to do a thing on disk utility that was repair disk permissions. one day after that the screen stop working.

Any ideas if I can solve this? It's really strange because I know the screen works when I turn PC on and then it goes of!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try taking a flash light or move to a really bright room. See if the display is on but the backlight isn't...

3. 4QUARIUM thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the display is on coz I can see things on it and when I press Brightness Up key it responds some times. I put brightness to zero and then press Brightness Up and the screen activates and then goes black again. And if I'm patient enough to do it 100 times, sometimes the screen stays on for a little while.

Any idea if I can solve this by software?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you get the screen to come back on by adjusting the angle of the screen?
    If yes, the inverter cable and the inverter board pass through the hinge area, and the plugs on the inverter need to be reseated.
    (It's not as simple as it sounds, and doesn't always help. Worth a try if you know your way inside your MacBook.)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Software? No. Especially since it shows these symptoms when starting up, it completely rules software out.

You need to replace the backlight components. This sounds like a busted or worn backlight cable which runs through the hinge. They can wear out as time goes on.

6. 4QUARIUM thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any idea if that's costly? I have this mac for 6 years now and if it's too expensive maybe it's not worth of!!!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How competent are you at working on computers?

8. 4QUARIUM, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

4QUARIUM thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not! I never repaired a computer myself! But is it a complex procedure? Although never have done a repair I think I can do it if I know what I have to do!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Check out iFixit...

10. 4QUARIUM thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers Altemose

I checked it and I guess it has a guide to change the backlight but I need to be sure that the problem is the backlight! Any help?

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And (unless you are surprised at your own talent :D ), you have already verified that the problem is the backlighting.

The inverter board, and/or the inverter cables will fix your issue.
    (The inverter board provides the signal to control the backlight.)

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just change both the inverter and inverter cable.