Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Help! The screen is three quarters of the way off. I’ve read that the warranty on the original Watch has been extended due to battery swelling. So that’s good. I didn’t drop and there are no cracks. However I’m running WatchOS 4. (Yes, I’m a Developer!). Genius Bar appointment at 2. I’m totally stressing. Any ideas how I should proceed!?

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
They are going to check to see if your battery is swollen. This is a hardware problem and not related to wOS.

Sweet. Hopefully that’s what it is. Can’t imagine what else would’ve caused it, since I’ve never dropped it. Wish me luck!

Reactions: newsman787

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Help! The screen is three quarters of the way off. I’ve read that the warranty on the original Watch has been extended due to battery swelling. So that’s good. I didn’t drop and there are no cracks. However I’m running WatchOS 4. (Yes, I’m a Developer!). Genius Bar appointment at 2. I’m totally stressing. Any ideas how I should proceed!?

Take it in and I think you'll be just fine.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Great friggin’ news: Watch was received by the service center and it’s already on the way back to the store. Maybe it helped that I was a total jerk!? I demanded to speak to the Store Manager, told them I wasn’t walking out the door. Whatever the reason, I feel relieved.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I seriously doubt thats the reason, not to mention its not really something to brag about. Maybe they are sending your broken watch back as unrepairable.
It wouldn't surprise me. I have reports of that before. Anytime you are a jerk, you are making more trouble for yourself. I have never had a problem with Apple. I'm always polite and friendly. They replaced my broken 2011 iMac, 2 years out of warranty with a brand new 2015 iMac.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me. I have reports of that before. Anytime you are a jerk, you are making more trouble for yourself. I have never had a problem with Apple. I'm always polite and friendly. They replaced my broken 2011 iMac, 2 years out of warranty with a brand new 2015 iMac.

Its always nice to hear the good things. For the size company Apple has become they still have tremendous customer service.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Well, I started out as reasonable and chill, but they really pushed my buttons. It was my understanding that they diagnose and replace in store. They really do try to help. I remember the ‘X’ key fell off a MacBook Pro that was way out of warranty. They fixed on the spot. I wasn’t malicious or cruel, just assertive. I freely admit it wasn’t my best moment, but I ended the transaction on a cordial note.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Well, I started out as reasonable and chill, but they really pushed my buttons. It was my understanding that they diagnose and replace in store. They really do try to help. I remember the ‘X’ key fell off a MacBook Pro that was way out of warranty. They fixed on the spot. I wasn’t malicious or cruel, just assertive. I freely admit it wasn’t my best moment, but I ended the transaction on a cordial note.
Yeah, the Watch is different for some reason. My understanding is that everything gets shipped offsite to the Great Apple Replenishment/Refurbishment Center. You were never going to get a replacement on the spot. Maybe due to the difficulty of running diagnostics on it onsite?

Reactions: jbachandouris

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Well, I started out as reasonable and chill, but they really pushed my buttons.....
You need to work on the spring strength behind those buttons. Honey always out performs vinegar. Also keep in mind that you are dealing with peoples emotions too who are working hard for an honest living and dread having to deal with people like you. People almost always like to please others and have themselves pleased in return. For you they all thought or said 'glad to see that jerks back hit the front door'.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apple watch is always sent out unless you have AppleCare+ then you can request an express replacement. This can ONLY be done by phone. It cannot be done in the store.

You call up Apple Care and give them a credit card to put a temporary hold on. They send you a replacement and then you send yours back. I like this option best as they can never send mine back unprepared claiming they found nothing wrong.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Regardless, I'm also assuming that Apple likely repaired your watch free of charge, which they are doing a service for you if so. And in all likeliness, ask yourself about the other number of companies that perhaps wouldn't stand behind their product that Apple will long after it's out of warranty or what have you. I know this goes without saying, but 'You get what you pay for', and with Apple, you receive quality hardware and service.

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
You need to work on the spring strength behind those buttons. Honey always out performs vinegar. Also keep in mind that you are dealing with peoples emotions too who are working hard for an honest living and dread having to deal with people like you. People almost always like to please others and have themselves pleased in return. For you they all thought or said 'glad to see that jerks back hit the front door'.

Who knows what they thought? For all we know, they thought or said, I’ve been in “that guy’s situation is understandable, I’ve been in his shoes”. We are not mind readers. I think from my last response, it’s clear I’m not looking for a pat on the back here, ladies and gents, but let’s stop the petty bickering.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I've never been rude to try and force my way into getting what I want from Apple, but being nice doesn't always work out with them (although maybe I was too nice and was seen as a pushover; being passive and not assertive)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I've never been rude to try and force my way into getting what I want from Apple, but being nice doesn't always work out with them (although maybe I was too nice and was seen as a pushover; being passive and not assertive)
I'm always strong-willed but I do it in a polite way. I don't intentionally try to anger them, because that will never help in the long run. I never raise my voice, but I don't back down. But I have developed some really strong relationships at my local store, so they do what they can for me.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I'm always strong-willed but I do it in a polite way. I don't intentionally try to anger them, because that will never help in the long run. I never raise my voice, but I don't back down. But I have developed some really strong relationships at my local store, so they do what they can for me.
I've met some super nice guys at my store who have taken care of me, but I can't go too often (I try once a month) because it's an hour away so they probably haven't remembered me just yet haha

and I do the online chat most of the time so I might get my way more if I see someone in person? although with my personality I'd probably just take whatever they give me and run away; whereas on chat they can't see my face and I don't see their live reactions, only what they type back

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I've met some super nice guys at my store who have taken care of me, but I can't go too often (I try once a month) because it's an hour away so they probably haven't remembered me just yet haha

and I do the online chat most of the time so I might get my way more if I see someone in person? although with my personality I'd probably just take whatever they give me and run away; whereas on chat they can't see my face and I don't see their live reactions, only what they type back
I try to avoid chat for bigger issues because sometimes I get aggressive because it's not face-to-face and text can be misinterpreted. I have that issue on the forums too :(. It's a lot easier to be mean over chat than looking someone in the eye.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I try to avoid chat for bigger issues because sometimes I get aggressive because it's not face-to-face and text can be misinterpreted. I have that issue on the forums too :(. It's a lot easier to be mean over chat than looking someone in the eye.
with the mean over chat thing sort of, online allows me to face my problems whereas in person I run away, sometimes litterally

also feels like I'm being attacked sometimes on the forums here because of my really low self esteem; I'll make one comment I shouldn't have, get 1000 people hating on me, and then I'll say the next thing to clear it up and it only makes it worse, kind of like every interaction I always have haha yeah so funny :(

sometimes I just wanna snap at people on here

apologies if you feel as if what I wrote is not relevant to what you said; if you feel like I'm saying pizza is my favorite desert then sorry

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
with the mean over chat thing sort of, online allows me to face my problems whereas in person I run away, sometimes litterally

also feels like I'm being attacked sometimes on the forums here because of my really low self esteem; I'll make one comment I shouldn't have, get 1000 people hating on me, and then I'll say the next thing to clear it up and it only makes it worse, kind of like every interaction I always have haha yeah so funny :(

sometimes I just wanna snap at people on here

apologies if you feel as if what I wrote is not relevant to what you said; if you feel like I'm saying pizza is my favorite desert then sorry
Its all good! I completely understand where you are coming from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.