Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Anyone know of a cheaper option to fix an Apple Watch than going to Apple?
I rarely wear my Apple Watch except on the days I actually go into the office (once every few months). Today I was giving a presentation, and someone stopped me and told me something was wrong with my watch. I looked down and both the screen and the rubber seal were hanging off my wrist.

Apple wants $199 for an out of warranty replacement. Thats not worth it, and its not reassuring that their damn glue can't last two years.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
I agree with not paying that fee. For that price I'd buy a new one.

I'm curious if you ever got the watch wet or in soaps etc

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone know of a cheaper option to fix an Apple Watch than going to Apple?
I rarely wear my Apple Watch except on the days I actually go into the office (once every few months). Today I was giving a presentation, and someone stopped me and told me something was wrong with my watch. I looked down and both the screen and the rubber seal were hanging off my wrist.

Apple wants $199 for an out of warranty replacement. Thats not worth it, and its not reassuring that their damn glue can't last two years.

I don't know that I would attempt to repair the screen myself if you don't have experience. I do agree I wouldn't pay $200 for an Apple Watch that likely is going to cost more to fix than what it's worth. Out of curiosity, is this a stainless model or aluminum that the display popped off?

This Issue with the watch has known to arise once in a while, and it's been reported that some first generation Apple Watches suffered due to the adhesive separating from the display. Perhaps you could call Apple back/make a store visit and re-explain your situation or speak to a senior advisor to determine if they can offer a warranty replacement.

Did the Watch frequently get wet or have any prolonged exposure to water?

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
It's been wet but not frequently. I bought it on day 1, it is a space grey aluminum. I've barely worn it for the last year as I work from home now, so most days it just sits on the charger. So other than a screen separating from it, it looks brand new.

I do see a lot of people got free replacements for this particular issue when calling in, maybe i need to get the right person
[doublepost=1491610221][/doublepost]Just called Apple. They are replacing the watch under a 2-year Quality Control ... not sure if it would be called a secret voluntary recall? Its apparently an issue they have been tracking where the battery expands and pushes the screen off.

Maybe its since been resolved since this was a day-1 watch.

Reactions: puckhead193

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
This just happened yesterday to someone that I know with the first generation watch. Let us know how you make out.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I do see a lot of people got free replacements for this particular issue when calling in said:
[/doublepost]Just called Apple. They are replacing the watch under a 2-year Quality Control ... not sure if it would be called a secret voluntary recall? Its apparently an issue they have been tracking where the battery expands and pushes the screen off.

Glad to hear they helped you out. Issues happen, but that one is entirely on them and it's good that they owned it.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just called Apple. They are replacing the watch under a 2-year Quality Control ... not sure if it would be called a secret voluntary recall? Its apparently an issue they have been tracking where the battery expands and pushes the screen off.

Great news. Persistence paid off. And I have heard of these issues before with the battery expanding for whatever reason, which results pushing off the display. I'm not sure what the causes are directly and I have not seen or know anybody to have this issue except on these forums when reported.

And this is why choose Apple when they stand behind their products.

disguy409

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
It's been wet but not frequently. I bought it on day 1, it is a space grey aluminum. I've barely worn it for the last year as I work from home now, so most days it just sits on the charger. So other than a screen separating from it, it looks brand new.

I do see a lot of people got free replacements for this particular issue when calling in, maybe i need to get the right person
[doublepost=1491610221][/doublepost]Just called Apple. They are replacing the watch under a 2-year Quality Control ... not sure if it would be called a secret voluntary recall? Its apparently an issue they have been tracking where the battery expands and pushes the screen off.

Thats good news for you. When I called, they said they never heard of the problem before and I would have to pay $200 to get it fixed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thats good news for you. When I called, they said they never heard of the problem before and I would have to pay $200 to get it fixed.

Then you should escalate the issue and speak to a Senior Advisor and see if they offer any further assistance. It's worth trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.