screen never turns off and stay on unlock screen if Siri takes me there

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taisiya, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Taisiya macrumors regular

I have run into a strange behavior on my iPhone 7 and iPhone 64gb. (both purchased
    from Verizon within the last couple of weeks)

With the screen off, if I say something like "hey Siri, search for music by Bon Jovi"
    Siri will respond with "searching for Bon Jovi at the iTunes store" and automatically
    take me to the unlock screen with the number keypad. If I do not unlock the screen
    by enterinb my code or with my fingerprint, the screen never turns off and just
    remains on that screen forever...(well, I turned it off manually after it was on for
    20+ minutes) Like I said, this behavior can be duplicated on both the 7 and the SE.

I only noticed this when I was playing with the phone, but left it on the desk to take
    a phone call... when I returned, I was horrified to see that the screen had remained
    on the unlock screen after 20+ minutes.

Is this behavior normal?

Thanks!

2. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

was at the local Best Buy to pick up a case for my new iPhone 7.

asked the Apple guy about this issue(BTW, are these actual Apple employees, since he claims he doesn't work for Best Buy)

his response was priceless: "yeah, it's supposed to do that.... why would you walk away from the phone after asking Siri a question?"

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, the screen would surely turn off after asking questions of all kinds, like what the weather is like or what the schedule looks like. You got an answer and that's basically that, the screen doesn't just stay on indefinitely for no reason after that.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    Just tried this kind of thing with iPhone 6 running iOS 10.1.1 just invoking Siri manually (not using "Hey Siri") and the screen dimmed and turned off as usual after staying on the passcode screen for a little while.

4. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

actually, on both my new iPhones(SE and 7), the screen does stay on indefinitely....

this can be duplicated on both of my new phones by doing this:

(1) screen off
    (2) I say "hey siri, find music in iTunes store"
    (3) screen turns on and Siri responds: "here's the iTunes store"
    (4) phone shows "Touch ID or Enter Passcode" screen with the number pad

unless I use my finger or passcode to unlock, the screen remains on indefinitely... but I've only dared to allow it to remain on for 57 minutes. At 58 minutes, I touched the fingerprint sensor and the screen changes to the iTunes store... then if I don't do anythnig for 30 seconds, it turns off(obviously)

I can't imagine this being too good for the battery life if I'm out and about and this happens. :(

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

So far the only difference is the "Hey Siri" part it would seem since my iPhone 6 doesn't support it when not plugged in and I haven it disabled as I don't really use it, but invoking Siri physically doesn't seem to result in the screen staying on indefinitely.