Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I dont really understand the point of puting a screen protector on the front of the phone.

Pros: no scratches
Cons: not smooth, easy to mess up install, bubbles, wavy lines, dirt under, lifting, ect.

I never put a screen protector on my 3gs and I ended up with 3 small shallow scratches, hard to see but annoying nonetheless. Where as on my coworkers 3gs, he had an invisibleshield which was extremly visible and have a shiny multicolored tint to it that was noticable all of the time.

Remember when you had a "standard" phone and the screen was plastic and it got majorly scratched up, you just dealt with it....why all of the fuss now over the small possibility of getting some small unoticible scratches?

I have found two real good times the shield has helped. MY wife keeps we phone in her purse, so if no shield, keys would detroy phone. My friend dropped his and IS kept glass on phone, still shattered but it staying the phone itself, so he can still see the display...

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
All but the first of your cons is user error that a careful person does not have issues with. The smoothness is also dependent on the brand and type of screen protector you get. Something like Zagg will be rough, but a Power Support or SGP will be smooth

GTghost

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
California
I got a plastic film from ebay and its the best.

PROS:
Keeps the phone clean.
No scratches.
Easy to sell in a few years.

CONS:
One little dust particle could mess up the whole look on the screen.

Kentobentos

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
For myself, the old phones's display was only a display, and they only cost a hundred bucks. My new iPhones display is the primary interface and costs 700.00 clams to replace new out of contract. Being a picky anal retentive kinda guy I like knowing I have a pristine phone I can easily sell to help cover the cost of next years iPhone.

Btw the good screen protectors are truly invisible to the eye and touch but supposedly offer less protection. Those that supposedly offer the most protection will have a slightly sticky feel ala zagg.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I’d rather use a flip case and not have something attached to my screen. Someone was bragging about their screen protector while waiting on mass transit and all I noticed was the bubbles around the screen. Even if you get it on there perfectly, if that gets damaged, you have to remove it, which is quite a mess.

ddoolin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I’d rather use a flip case and not have something attached to my screen. Someone was bragging about their screen protector while waiting on mass transit and all I noticed was the bubbles around the screen. Even if you get it on there perfectly, if that gets damaged, you have to remove it, which is quite a mess.

Yeah. Even if you put it on right, eventually it's bound to start looking ugly and dirty around the edges, and sh`it gets under it. It's just gross.

I bought a lot of them for my 3GS, and after they all got like that, I just stopped using them. Never dropped my phone, never had any scratches on the screen either. Just am very careful.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
I have never really been interested in putting one on something, but I guess they can offer some level of protection against sloppy use. I normally just make sure that the screen is covered and if I am going to wipe it off that there isn't anything on the screen that can scratch it.

JohnnyHorror

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
not all of us are in greatest of conditions all the time. I work in a very dirty dusty machine shop. i get dust and grime all over my clothes which means it transfers to my phone when its in my pocket. i went 2 days without a screen protector or case for the ip4, it has 3 good scratches one the back, and multiple minuscule scratches all over. so i buckled and got a gay looking case from at&t and some screen protectors. as for a back screen protector, the case on my 3g would actually trap dust in it and permanently marred the back of the phone, so i will picking one of those up ass well, when someone decent comes out with some. some of us like to protect out expensive things. I personally like knowing that if the screen protector gets cruddy, i can always change it and still have a pristine screen.
i can also get the screens on with no bubbles, and can go more than six months before they need to be changed

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
For myself, the old phones's display was only a display, and they only cost a hundred bucks. My new iPhones display is the primary interface and costs 700.00 clams to replace new out of contract. Being a picky anal retentive kinda guy I like knowing I have a pristine phone I can easily sell to help cover the cost of next years iPhone.

Btw the good screen protectors are truly invisible to the eye and touch but supposedly offer less protection. Those that supposedly offer the most protection will have a slightly sticky feel ala zagg.

I have to agree. I have always made sure all of my iPhones have been well protected and have actually made a large profit selling them on eBay when the new phones came out. All of my phone have always had a screen protector and a hard case. For example I sold my 32gb 3GS old bootrom on eBay for $500 three weeks ago. The $15 or $20 for a good screen protector is definitely worth it in my opinion. Plus I take my time and don't have any of the cons you listed, you can't tell I have a screen protector on my i4 front and back plus a lucky labs clear vinyl around the sides.

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2003
I dont really understand the point of puting a screen protector on the front of the phone.

Cons: not smooth, easy to mess up install, bubbles, wavy lines, dirt under, lifting, ect.

I never put a screen protector on my 3gs and I ended up with 3 small shallow scratches, hard to see but annoying nonetheless. Where as on my coworkers 3gs, he had an invisibleshield which was extremly visible and have a shiny multicolored tint to it that was noticable all of the time.

Remember when you had a "standard" phone and the screen was plastic and it got majorly scratched up,
you just dealt with it....why all of the fuss now over the small possibility of getting some small unoticible scratches?

I have found two real good times the shield has helped. MY wife keeps we phone in her purse, so if no shield, keys would detroy phone. My friend dropped his and IS kept glass on phone, still shattered but it staying the phone itself, so he can still see the display...

This is a completely pointless thread it's purpose is to protect the screen, hence the name screen protector. Maybe you camshaft a thread that is title....the phone charger, what's the point.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
You mostly listed user error. With a few tips it's not hard to properly install a screen protector. The rest of your cons don't apply to a quality screen protector like SGP or PS. There's a huge difference between those and a tacky zagg protector. I baby my phones and I still use screen protectors. The glass on the iPhone is pretty scratch resistant but for ~$13 I don't have to worry about any permanent scratches whether large or small.

emacs

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
For me it's simple: If I get a scratch/blemish/eye sore on a screen protector, I can remove it and put on a new one. If I get a scratch/blemish/eye sore on the screen, I have to live with it for the life of the phone.

I wouldn't generalize all screen protectors based on your coworkers invisibleshield. Check out powersupport's screen protectors. They are the best imo. Their crystal film is truly invisible and don't have the multicolored tint, orange peel effect, or sticky feel that the invisibleshield does.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
For myself, the old phones's display was only a display, and they only cost a hundred bucks. My new iPhones display is the primary interface and costs 700.00 clams to replace new out of contract.

Not true. Apple will replace any iPhone in or out of contract and/or in or out of warranty that has a broken screen or water damage for $199.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010

Remember when you had a "standard" phone and the screen was plastic and it got majorly scratched up, you just dealt with it....why all of the fuss now over the small possibility of getting some small unoticible scratches?

Here are similar threads in which to hash out this tired argument:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/962779/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/955893/

applekiwipeach

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
what's the point? well...
you scratch a screen, it's scratched.
you scratch the screen protector, you can replace a new one with low cost and have it look perfectly for a while...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.