Screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

How many of you use screen protectors on your phone? I have had every iPhone and just recently decided to put one on my 4s mostly for resale value

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I always do as soon as I get a new phone.
    I see plenty peoples phones with scratches and no matter how carefull you are something might happen. So that little plastic film is well worth it IMO.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not worth it.

I've had many iPhones for many years now and I've damaged them in many, many creative ways. But 'screen scratches' is not one of them.

Why ruin your iPhone experience for something that just isn't that big of a problem? Yes, it's possible you could damage your screen, but the ways I've damaged my phones a screen protector wouldn't have helped anyway! (What can I say, I do damage right.)

So I'm glad I didn't cripple my phone for all those years for something that, when the time came, wouldn't have helped anyway.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

I have a Ghost Armor on mine. Screen is still as clear as it was before I put the screen protector on and there are no bubbles.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

It really doesn't hinder the experience at all. The touchscreen is just as smooth and responsive. I got a few fibers stuck under it but I got used to it. $15 for 3 screen protectors. If it preserves the resale value it's worth it to me.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Get an actual glass screen cover. Same cost as the higher end plastic films but feels exactly like the iPhone glass right down to the oleophobic coating.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Haven't had one and neither has my wife. Unless you abuse your phone it's not needed.

8. TyShawn macrumors 6502

You have a link for this product?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

naked phone all of the time!....hate cases and screen protectors...just be careful with them.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

11. canuckle macrumors regular

This ^

Excellent product, no reduction in quality or feel. Also guaranteed.

12. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

This. If applied well you can't even notice it's on the phone. It also feels no different at all.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have always been able to tell the difference between a screen cover and glass on my iPhones, and have always been fanatical about proper application. Some feel much worse than others, for sure, but there is a difference. I wouldn't go as far as saying they ruin the experience, as was said earlier in the thread.

14. AAPLinc, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I ALWAYS ALWAYS get screen protectors. Despite the fact that people say that the screen wont scratch. I dont like the thought of change or keys touching my bare screen, regardless.

Plus, if you notice, after a while with a screen protector on, the oils and such from your skin create a residue that is stubborn to come off... I just changed my screen protector that was 9 months old, and it was amazing how much residue was built up.

And EVERYDAY, I take a microfiber towel and wipe my phone down.

It's really up to you, however. I say, why not be safe?

And in my opinion, I don't think my protector ruins the feel/touch or look of the retina screen. It's a crystal clear protector, so the colors are just as vivid.

My next protector is going to be matte. I like how the matte protectors seem to hide fingerprints.

And if you do decide to get protectors, don't feel the need to spend a lot of money. I've had good experiences from cheapo ones on eBay. It's all about how well you can apply them. As long as the edges line up well, it wont peel and dirt wont get stuck underneath.

15. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't feel any difference in the feel. And like one poster said why not be safe. I mean $5 for a green protector and I protect against any scratching. I mean sure the phone has gorilla glass but take a chance. Especially when you plan to resell the phone after 2 years. You wanna get as much out of it as you can.

16. cynics macrumors G3

I look at my friends beat up iPhones. Scratched, cracked screens, shattered backs etc. They see my beat up case. Only difference is I can easily replace the case.

I'll either use a screen protector or a case that has a screen protector built in. I'd rather deal with a different user experience then have a beat up phone. That's my opinion anyway.

I'm very rough on a phone too it would be impossible for me to just be careful.

17. pk7, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

pk7 macrumors 6502

I had one for a bit on my secondhand 3G until it just faded off, don't remember which one though. Then I used it for about 4 months without one and dropped it on the screen a couple of times with no damage.

When Apple replaced it at the Genius Bar with a 3GS (lucky me! :D), I didn't put one on that either, and it went a comfortable 7 months without any accidents. The oleophobic coating does wear out over time though, maybe quicker without a screen protector.

I got one on my 4S because I want to keep the oleophobic coating intact and I've seen some horrific shattered screens on more iPhone 4s and 4S'es.

Hell, I didn't just get one for my 4S, I've been through 4! All Zaggs (3 of them InvisiShields, 1 an InvisiShield HD; I also have a Zagg for the back that has so far lasted for the life of the phone), and I'm sick of it. Not as durable as they claim, and I'm not even an aggressive user. It also has the rainbow and orange peel effects. I shoulda just bought a PS when I first got the 4S :eek: I'm about to make the jump to a Power Support Crystal. Can anyone attest to how a PS Crystal stacks up against a Ghost Armor?

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just got the ones Verizon stocks. They work just fine

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the first screen cover I'd actually consider.

I have never had a problem, so I actually wouldn't personally, but this is the first screen cover I wouldn't discourage others from using.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It really is very good. I was floored at how amazing it was when I first used it. Everyone that sees my phone is amazed if the topic of screen protectors comes up. Otherwise they don't even know it's there!

21. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Maybe stupid question but does that protective oleophobic coating wear off at all if you always use screen protector?

22. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a