Screen Repair Shop killed my 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristindanelle, Oct 6, 2014.

1. kristindanelle macrumors newbie

I brought my 5s to one of those screen repair shops in perfectly working condition. I returned after 30 mins and was asked if my phone had ever had any water damage. I told them that I had gotten water in the phone a while back but after it dried up, my phone was fine and hadn't given me any problems since. They said that had I told them I had a history of water damage, they would have never opened the phone up because now the phone would not turn on past the apple logo before shutting down.

I think it's a bit ridiculous for them to say that I should have offered up that bit of information as it was not something I even thought about much after the day it happened. Instead, I feel that it's more logical for them to ask the customers that question if that is indeed a concern when doing a screen replacement.

They currently still have my phone (day 3) and are trying to fix it but I'm beginning to think that the chances they get my phone to work are slim to none.

My question is, is a history of water damage indeed a reason for something like this to happen or do you think they damaged the phone while trying to replace the screen and are just looking to offset the blame?

Also, if they don't fix the phone, am I just supposed to chalk this up as a loss or can I hold them responsible to replace it? No forms of any kind were signed.

Thanks!

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You should have taken it to Apple. Now if they can't fix it it will be tough luck. Nothing you can do.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why did you take you "perfectly working" phone to them?

Sounds like a tough lesson to learn but I would never take a good phone to a Kiosk at the mall or other 3rd party repair place.

Apple will cost more but it will be done right.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it was perfectly working, why did you bring it in to be repaired? :confused:

If the screen was damaged as I'm assuming it was since you state it was a screen repair shop, then maybe there was other damage.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm guessing that he meant his phone was working perfectly except for the screen

In regards to the OP: You'll most likely have to chalk this one up to a lesson learned. Water damage is tricky, but if nothing was signed, there's really no way to prove much, and even if it were possible, it would cost you time and money. I'd try to sell it for parts.

Sorry for the misfortune.

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Maybe have them put everything back and get your money back. Then take it to Apple and get a replacement phone for $269:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Apple would have charged you $129 for the screen alone. Usually those kiosks are like $99. Not worth the $30 savings in my opinion.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh I know, but that's my point, it wasn't a perfectly working iPhone. It was damaged and there could have been other hidden damage. Perhaps the water damage did cause more issues that were aggravated by the other issue that caused the screen to break.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh absolutely; water can do nasty things to phones, cars, etc. that "seem" to be ok.

On the other hand, it's also a great scapegoat if one screws up a customer's phone when doing a simple screen replacement. :cool:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I think we've seen too often the excuse of water damage when it was something else, just so the repair company (and even apple) can get away without fixing it for free.

10. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Come on guy... you're being intellectually dishonest. I was a Genius for 5 years. We wouldn't do a screen replacement on a liquid damaged phone either, for this very reason. When you get water on a circuit board, all bets are off. How is it fair to make that defective part the responsibility of any repair shop? You dropped your electronic device in water and then it was just no big deal afterwards so you forgot about it? You're looking for someone else to blame.

That said, they should have asked you *before* working on it, and had you sign some paperwork.

11. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I worked for Apple as a genius until recently. We wouldn't do component level repairs like display replacements if there was any visible evidence of liquid inside a phone. That would be an immediate swap.

Those screen repair shops operate outside of official channels and quite honestly hire high school kids who have no idea what they're doing. They MIGHT have watched an iFixIt video or two, if you're lucky and they did any training at all. If your phone is truly liquid damaged, have em reassemble the device without missing a single component and pay the toll at Apple for a properly working one.

DO NOT mention you took it to a repair shop, if the Genius hears that they won't touch your device.

12. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Having it reassembled and taken to apple is your best bet. Even if you can't get you money back.

Like others have said, don't mention it to apple.

14. 617aircav Suspended

The phone was already damaged, the OP told the repair shop this.

15. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

but they didn't ask until they opened the phone, and the phone was working fine when the OP took it in. it's up to the court to determine whether or not the company has any liability here and to what degree. it's worth a shot. and often, taking someone to small claims court isn't about determining specific liability. it often doesn't even get that far. companies will frequently give a customer what they want if it would be less of a hassle than dealing with the courts.

16. kristindanelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of your replies! Sorry, yes I completely forgot to mention the reason why I was even there. I had a crack going down the middle of the screen that I got after dropping it a couple months ago.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

To answer this question: Yes, it's possible for the water damage to be a reason. Water corrodes components, and it might've been that there wasn't enough corrosion to cause problems so long as the components stayed inside the case and weren't moved. Once the case was opened and internals jostled around to fix the broken screen, a connector or internal component that was corroded before could've finally reached its breaking point.

OR, it could've been shoddy work at the fixit shop. Or, a combination of both. Without cracking the phone open again, it'll be hard to tell for sure.

There may have been a sign at the store absolving them of damage, or there might be a disclaimer on your receipt. In any case, the store is probably depending on the fact that if they do break your phone, there's a lot of effort and red tape to go through to bring them to court to get your money back. Also, the fact that the phone was already water damaged coming in is possibly a mark in their favor.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling that if this went all the way to court, you likely won't get the full value of the phone, assuming it's even decided in your favor. You'll get depreciated value, which might or might not be enough to get a similar model phone off eBay or something.

18. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

My initial thought at well. Kind of hard to lay this at the feet of the repair shop or accuse them of faulty work when it's already known that water has been inside the phone. Water corrodes electronics. Corrosion weakens parts. It is very likely that simply removing the screen without causing damage to an already compromised part(s) was an impossible task in itself.

19. CBeckstrand macrumors member

Had a similar experience lately with a local shop. My wife has had a 5s with a cracked screen for a while that worked fine otherwise. We decided to get it repaired and I choose a shop close to my work that was an "apple certified" repair shop. I went to pick it up and they said it was just booting to a black screen. I explained it worked fine when I dropped it off but they said it was doing the same thing on the old screen. We have them put the old one back on and it still would not boot. I tried doing a restore at home and even took it to the Apple store just to see what they said. It was toast, Apple said there was screws missing and the best they could do was an out of warranty replacement. Luckily I had insurance on it through ATT and used that but I learned my lesson and will be more careful where I take it too.

I actually just had to have it repaired again (don't ask :( ) and the shop I used this time verified everything worked before they took it so there is no chance of a liability issue. Needless to say a much better experience. It was a warranty claim through Squaretrade and they did not even list the first shop as a repair option.

20. shaunmed macrumors regular

ya buyer beware, i took mine to a place and then the mic no longer worked. some dumb chick with no know how screwed me.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think that everyone is missing that fact that not only did the OP say the phone had water damage but that the screen was also cracked from dropping it. With water damage as well as visible physical damage, both negligence on the users part, I do not see how the repair shop should be help liable.

22. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Well, duh! Because you're missing the one obvious, critical part of the story: EVERYTHING is ALWAYS the fault of some ELSE!

Sheesh, my youngest has learned that lesson already, and she's just now in middle school! (I think that must be part of their curriculum these days, because all students seem to know it, even when they can't name the VP of the country!)

23. myztikal47 macrumors regular

Have they tried charging the battery? They may have even damaged the battery if the phone is shutting off like that. They should charge it and try to restore it via iTunes. Definitely sounds like Amateurs.

24. kovey macrumors 6502a

OP is screwed and at fault for destroying the phone.

25. brand macrumors 601

brand

I corrected that for you. Between the liquid damage and physical damage caused by dropping the phone I don't see how you can dismiss the fact that it is very likely that it stopped working because of the damaged caused by the OP.