Screen scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pongyuekong, Oct 3, 2014.

1. pongyuekong macrumors newbie

Just got my iPhone 6 plus for 2 days and I have a apple leather case for it, but this morning when I look at my screen it has a thin scratch on it? I can't remember or understand how I got it scratch since I baby my iPhone. Just exactly how strong is the iPhone 6 plus screen?

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

It's hard enough to handle metal like keys and knives but will still scratch from sand, stone and other grit.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I don't think it's the actual glass that is scratched. More like the Oleo-phobic coating.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Strong as any other smartphone, for better or worse.

Do you see this with the screen on (as a line shadow) or with the screen off & at an angle (thin rainbow line)?

In the case of off-angle rainbow scratches, some folks, myself included, think this is the oleophobic coating applied to the Gorrila glass that's actually getting scratched. But as many have pointed out, there really isn't definitive proof of that being the case.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You scratched the oleophobic not the glass. Probably from some grit, when you wiped the screen on your shirt or pants.

6. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

I have the iPhone 6 and I baby my devices as well and I realized I have about two very thin scratches on my screen as well. Ordered some screen protectors right away....

7. pongyuekong thread starter macrumors newbie

I can run my finger nail slowly around it and feel the scratch lightly... Guess I'll return the leather case and get AppleCare or otterbox defender when it release.

8. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality of the screen. Over the three years I had my 4S, I never used a screen protector. But about halfway through, I got a tiny scratch just off the center of the screen, just under a centimeter long. For the most part, these screens are very durable, and yours was probably just scratched due to bad luck.

9. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I haven't used a screen protector in years. They always built up grime at the edges. My 4S was fine. I'll roll the dice on the 6 as well.