Screen Size question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael Goff, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Inevitably, maybe within six months, I'm going to have to get a new phone. But I have a problem. You see, I have giant sausage fingers. Right now, I have a Galaxy Nexus. No, this isn't about Android or iOS. I love them both equally.

Do you think the iPhone 5 size will be a detriment if I occasionally mess up with the keyboard on a 4.65" device? And will the smaller screen make watching things noticeably more difficult?

2. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm the only fat-fingered person on this site?

3. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

You said sausage not fat, you should just go with a iPad and use Skype. But really I have fat fingers and I don't have a issue.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Id go into a phone store and see if the keyboard and on screen buttons are actually any larger on the s3. Interface elements may be the same size, just with more room showing text and stuff.

----------

Im not sure what you think sausages fingers means?

5. newone757 macrumors 6502

Go to a store and try it out.

My iphone 4 had smaller screen than my old EVO 4g but i have less errors on iphone keyboard, it isn't all about screen-size. Different touchscreen algorithms and sensitivity etc.

I wouldn't say my fingers are fat but being 6'4, they are big

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Agreed. The best way is to physically try the device yourself. Apple will let you mess around with a demo in the store for as long as you want. They want you hooked. :D

7. utl768 macrumors 6502

apple has the best auto correct by far so as long as ur close the keyboard will fix errors for you

on android the auto correct is terrible so u need the screen real estate because u have to disable it and accurately type everything urself

8. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'll be heading to an AT&T store this friday.

I had meant to a week ago, but... my local AT&T store no longer exists apparently.

Also, closest Apple Store is 3 hrs away.

Did I use the term sausage fingers wrong, btw? I always use it to mean fat. D:

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I can't speak for your needs, but I've owned multiple 3.5" iPhones, an iPhone 5, a Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S3.

I really liked the Galaxy S3's screen size, but if I didn't hold it just right.. it was uncomfortable to reach certain buttons. The Galaxy Nexus was a bit better.
    The iPhone 5 is extremely comfortable, and the iPhone 1-4S are too small. Side note, you are going to LOVE the iPhone 5's battery life coming from a Nexus. Especially if you had an LTE model like me. Great OS, I love vanilla Android, but that phones battery was HORRIBLE, worst I've ever used.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You used it correctly.

11. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That's a lot of phones. Glad that if I get one, I have good battery life to look forward to. I don't have the LTE version, but the battery life is still a bit crap.

Also, glad I used the term correctly.

12. tucker3434 macrumors regular

I'm pretty fat fingered too. The auto correct is a life saver.

13. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I actually like it, the phone is just the perfect size to be completely manageable with 1 hand. Btw, a lot of your 3rd party apps such as Facebook will be vastly superior to the Android counterpart. I hope they fix that someday, Android (especially ICS+) is an amazing OS, I love it.. but it lacks the 3rd party support iOS has.

14. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So the Facebook app on the iPhone doesn't suck?

Seriously, I would have figured apps would be better on Android phones because the marketshare.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apps are superior on the iPhone because the users spend far more money on apps.

16. satchow macrumors 6502

Yeah, you would think that, but it has a lot to do with piracy and fragmentation. A lot easier to code for 3 different screen resolutions (iPhone) than countless resolutions and OS versions.

17. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I figured I'd ask this here rather than open up a new thread just for it.

Does anyone know what Pre-paid plans can be used with the iPhone 5?

18. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The Facebook app for iPhone did suck.. until they recoded it in Objective C. Which is the native programming language iOS uses. Facebook for iOS is *much* faster than the Android app.

You have to think though, when developers make apps for iOS they have a few devices they make it for, generally the last 3 generation iPhones, last 2-3 generation iPod Touches, and the last 2 generation iPad's.

Where as with Android, it has to be coded to work on many, many devices.. so it is hard to optimize it for say, the Galaxy S3. Cause all these devices on Android have different screen sizes, different OS versions, and different specs/hardware.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

price has little to no relation with quality.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Potential revenue earned has everything to do with the level of effort applied to developing an app. Simply put, if you earn 10x less on Android you will not spend the same amount of money developing the app.

21. *prog* macrumors newbie

I agree. App developers know iphone apps sell and they have an OS platform that people upgrade to on a consistent basis. The recent ios upgrade was 80+ percent adopted by iphone users after a few weeks. Android has very poor adoption of their updates for their OS. As a result developers know the new iOS is one to develop for and can focus on making a premium product that all iphone users will have the same experience with.
    While there are a ton of android users out there, they are fragmented on lots of different versions of their OS as well as the different functionality of their phones.
    iPhone apps consistently outsell android. Developers will provide quicker and better updates for the platform that provides the most revenue.