Screenshots of Windows 3.1 running on my iPod under iDOS!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lanulos, Jan 20, 2011.

1. lanulos, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

lanulos macrumors regular

EDIT: Note: This is the NEW version of iDOS, 2.0.1, which just came out yesterday in the AppStore, not 1.0 which was Jobsbliterated after 1 day a few months ago.

I copied seven 1.2M Win3.1 floppies into 7 folders, DISK1 thru DISK7, in the Documents folder of iDOS (free in AppStore), then ran SETUP.EXE in folder DISK1. Here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]
    DISK3 I think...

[​IMG]
    After DISK6.

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to run the tutorial...

[​IMG]
    clicking Reboot here dumped me back to iDOS. I killed iDOS then reopened, and ran "win" at the C: prompt.

[​IMG]
    In Win3.1 File Manager (those were the days...not!)

[​IMG]
    exiting file Manager.

I must say everything is EGREGIOUSLY SLOW...But then what did I expect on my Touch3. Might be a lot better on an iPad or iPhone 4...

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Yeah this isnt anything particularly new. Its been out for a while now.

3. lanulos, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

lanulos thread starter macrumors regular

This is the new iDOS 2.0.1 which just came out in the AppStore yesterday, not version 1.0 which came out a few months ago and was thrown out of the AppStore after one day. The author even said on his blog that:

"The biggest change from iDOS 1.0: iTunes file sharing is now turned off.
    That means you will not be able to install windows nor games from your old disc collection."
    http://litchie.net/blog/?p=168
    Obviously that's not true. In fact, one of the comments on his blog describes how to install stuff without even being jailbroken. My touch is, but I'm going to try it on my daughter's unjailbroken one if I can keep it away from her long enough...

EDIT: Tried it on the unjailbroken one (both are iOS 4.1 by the way) but found it very difficult to get into the app folder using iPhone Explorer, but I did succeed once, which was enough to install Win3.1. The newer version of iTunes must be fighting iPhone Explorer. (This was what the commenter in the link above used.)

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Because it's there :D

7. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I have it on my iPhone 4 but when i turn it sideways the screen goes black :(

8. lanulos thread starter macrumors regular

That's a "feature". If you tap the top of the landscape screen there's a little transparent slide-down menu with different interface icons, so if you tap the keyboard icon, for instance, a transparent keyboard overlays the bottom of the screen. That's how I installed Win3.1. You can see the keyboard in one of my pics. The menu goes away when not in use, which is why it's not in my pics.

9. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I meant I can't see windows when side cause of a bug making the picture disappear ... might be from 4.3 though. only works sideways in windowed mode not fullscreen

10. lanulos thread starter macrumors regular

Oh. Well, I guess he won't have much incentive to update it since the Code Police have terminated it with extreme prejudice...I wonder if it works on 4.2.1. By the way, do you know if TinyUmbrella is saving SHSH's for 4.3 betas?

But it's good that I am looking through forgotten areas of my closet for ancient game disks...I've found other stuff I'd thought I'd lost forever.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

...because you can!

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Here's iDOS on my iPad running GeoWorks Ensemble (technically it is the later version of it known as New Deal Office 98)

[​IMG]

The blurriness of the image is due to the resizing of the screen capture.

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I bet thats better than vista. Can you browse the files on your ipad with that? And does internet and stuff like that work
    I hate to ask but can you install programs on the windows os?

14. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol, Windows 95 on there.. I wonder how slow that went :D

16. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

lol it take like 10 seconds for the start menu to come up :confused: i clicked IE to test the net and it got a bsod :/ typical windoze

17. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

18. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Lemmings 1 and 2 work on it fine as well :D loving it but.. 3 works also but its really confusing to me to play :confused:

19. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Bsod on the ipad. You had the best of both companies

20. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

lol!:D

21. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

James May!

22. Synthion macrumors regular

I laughed, I cried, I just about puked when I saw the Windows home screen. I'm so conflicted.:confused::eek::mad::p:D:(;):):eek::apple:

23. Synthion macrumors regular

How did you do that? I could do it previously, but now they banned mounting root access? How can I do that?

24. lanulos thread starter macrumors regular

Using iPhone Explorer on my daughter's unjailbroken one I had to try many times to get into the litchie folder under apps (it has an odd folder name starting with 8, on mine it's 8HLDK844H7.net.litchie.idos, I don't know if it's always that). I got in once, and then transferred the Win3.1 setup folders. I couldn't get in again after that. Now I can't even get in on my jailbroken one with iPhone Explorer; I think there's something wrong with the program. I have no trouble seeing root with any other utility on the jailbroken iPod.

25. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Wow...it seems Windows 3.1 is totally different from Windows which released in recent decade.