Screwed by AT&T! (Read if you have iPhone 4S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigSky20, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

I have purchased every iPhone on launch date. I just found out from ATT because the iPhone 4S came out less than a year ago....I cannot upgrade to the iPhone 5.

So I thought that I just have to wait until October....nope!

I was just told by an AT&T manager that they used to allow early upgrades after 12 months for high revenue accounts and 20 months for all others. Apparently, they changed this policy and now treat all accounts the same and only offer the 20 month upgrade option, so the upgrade date is May 2013!

Of course, you could go to Verizon, but the early termination fee at this point in contract is $215.

As soon May comes around, I am going to Verizon! If anyone hears anything different on this new policy, please let me know.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It has always been like this. Honestly I never understood why AT&T gave iPhone users preferred treatment on this matter.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

How's that being screwed? You're buying a 2 year contract, not a 9 month contract.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I hope you don't like using voice and data simultaneously.

6. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

It's not that you can't upgrade, it's that they aren't going to subsidize the price of the phone for you. You're free to upgrade, just pay full price.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Nothing new. Of course you can upgrade. You just have to pay the full non commitment price. For those that upgrade all the time it just means selling the old phone and buying the new one. And of course you don't have to extend your contract.

8. ominx macrumors 6502

Ironically they always did this during their iPhone exclusivity. My guess is Apple was helping with subsidized prizing back then?

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

Not sure when you received your 4S but I purchased mine on launch day and I show on the ATT site I'm elgible for an early upgrade, meaning I'll pay $250 + the 199,299 or 399. Considering I can sell the 4S for more than 250 it's all good to me.

10. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Carriers all do the same thing.. They are not into the business of giving the farm away.

11. X5GEE, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

X5GEE macrumors newbie

I've also had every iphone since it's release. Purchased the iPhone 4 in late June 2010 on a subsidized price. Last October I purchased the iphone 4s outright for $580 thinking it wouldn't effect my contract. Well I found it it did yesterday. I honestly had no clue. So now I can't get the iphone 5 soon. Might switch over to Verizon since ATT gave me a bull$h!t runaround on the phone. Who knows ... just disappointed.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Verizon has the same policy.

I bought the iPhone 4S on launch day last year. It will cost me $649 to upgrade before 6/13.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

14. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

This policy was changed even before the 4s came out. At that point many people made the decision to keep their upgrade and skip the 4s. I didn't but I knew I had another line that I could use the upgrade from this year.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it makes a lot of sense to leave at&t for a different carrier that makes you wait 20 months before you can upgrade again :rolleyes:

16. mateo124 macrumors regular

Exactly. I don't see why everyone is complaining about not being able to get the iPhone every year when they really should only be able to upgrade every 24 months. They get mad if AT&T was nice to them once, and now they must wait (still not 24 months) 20, which is still better then 24.

17. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

con·tract
       [n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 kon-trakt; otherwise v. kuhn-trakt] Show IPA
    noun
    an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.
    an agreement enforceable by law.
    the written form of such an agreement.

In other words, go for a swim in the river of your own tears.

18. 617aircav Suspended

You are not screwed. Just buy it unsubsidized and you won't have this issue next year.

19. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the kind comments :)

Just to educate some misinformed people. AT&T allowed full subsidized pricing through the iPhone 4S. This is a new policy from 6 month ago. In other words, I have bought every iPhone at the full subsidized price on launch date every year.

Entitlement?? That's funny. I would have signed a new 2 year contract with AT&T, so I would subject myself to a higher termination fee and a new obligation.

Wow....I thought this forum supported apple users. Apparently...not!

20. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Nope, we try to pride ourselves as people with sense, some level of maturity, and who honor agreements. Guess you should find another forum.

21. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

A lot of people disagree that people try to work the system they agreed on. That is what bugs most people. Your post was a complaint on how bad AT&T is but it really isn't their issue....

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Seems like about once every hour or two somebody comes here and complains that there 2 year contract they signed is really a 2 year contract. (actually 20 months it seems).

You agreed to that. What is the issue.

Oh, and by the way, if you leave to go to VZ, you have some fees to pay. You agreed to that.

If you want to moan and groan about, at least just add to one of the few hundred active message threads discussing it. It is not our fault you did not realize your 2 year agreement, or can not read the other messages right on the first page.

23. ipadfreak macrumors regular

I have ATT and have the Early Upgrade option for the iphone subsidized price plus 250 bucks.. derp.

24. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

They allowed it if you already had an upgrade due but the policy changed BEFORE the 4s was released, not 6 months ago. You are misinformed.

25. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

JESUS GOD what don't you people get? And how is that you didn't see the other 238 threads SAYING THIS EXACT SAME THING?

ATT isn't screwing you, at least not when it comes to your upgrade. They aren't the only game in town anymore, they aren't going to treat iPhone customers like royalty when they gain nothing from it.