Scrolling Stutter (since upgrade)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobbytomorow, Nov 19, 2009.

1. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

So I have a MBP 5,1 and a couple of days ago I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB (this kit) and also upgraded from the stock 250GB 5400rpm to a 320GB 7200rpm (this drive).

Every thing is working out good, its faster and more responsive but for some reason it hangs momentarily when I scroll down a web page, which is often, it hangs or sticks very briefly and then resumes scrolling again. It will do it at least once every web page and sometimes 2 or 3 times. It sounds minor but its very aggravating when surfing and scrolling a lot.

I use a wireless Logitech Nano VX mouse with one of those fly wheels that spins so pages scroll according to momentum of the spin so I thought that maybe its the mouse but it also does it when I use the 2 finger scroll on the touchpad.

So it must be either the hard drive or the RAM.Any thoughts? Also is there an OS X equivalent to memtest86+ and HD Tach, so I can run some diagnostics?

:confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you have smooth scrolling enabled? ( -> System Preferences -> Appearance)

3. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Yes, I do

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

that seems to have done the trick, but I haven't given it much time and I have to go to bed. I will report back tomorrow after a couple hours of use.

6. chill. macrumors 6502

what does this option even do? i'm turning it on and off and scrolling up/down in a browser and don't really notice anything

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try using the page up/page down keys.