Scuffed/dented my brand new iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jn1, Oct 16, 2016.

1. jn1 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I just picked up an iPhone 7 and within the first day of owning it, I dropped it and scratched the back and dented the side of the phone. I also scuffed the surroundings of the camera. I'm usually pretty careful with my devices and always use a case, but my case had not arrived and I should've waited before using my phone naked.

Fortunately, the phone is still 100% functional and working perfectly. The camera lens didn't crack and the screen is still pristine (as I dropped it on the sides and back). I want to know if Apple can replace the entire rear housing of my phone, and I'm obviously willing to pay the full amount for the repair as it is my own fault. I just don't want to get a replacement unit as I've had some horrible experiences with refurbished units. I also want to avoid 3rd party repair shops so I can keep my warranty. Attached below is (part) of the damage. So is a repair by Apple possible guys? Thanks in advance.

cam.JPG

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you take it in and Apple is able to do anything, you're looking at an exchange. I doubt replacement units are refurbished at this point, but to be totally honest I've never had a problem with Apple refurbs, so I don't understand why that's a big deal.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine. You don't need to pay for a replacement.
    Move on, accidents happen. As long as it works then don't stress over it. If you drop it and cause some real damages like crack the screen then pay for a replacement. This minor wear and tear issue is no big deal.

4. Conan86 macrumors 6502

How about getting AppleCare+ and claim an ADH.. that's the cheapest option if you absolutely want to have a replacement

Otherwise, you can try your luck to see if a Genius at the store would bless you with a free replacement (not guaranteed but happens if you're real lucky)

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

That isn't too bad. Sucks that it happened right at the beginning of your ownership but it's not the end of the world. I'd leave it as is..

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people will turn to fraud.

7. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Do you know that that's what the genius would recommend you do if you head into their store with a broken screen within 60 days of purchase?

8. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

it has been known that genius technicians will suggest this route .

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

(v) The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment.

(viii) The Plan does not apply to a pre-existing condition on any Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you purchased the Covered Equipment.

Did you know they are also committing fraud? My guess is that if the underwriter found out it would end pretty quickly and the employee would be looking for a new job.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

That does not change the fact that it is still fraud. Just because they allow you to commit fraud, doesn't mean its still not fraud.

11. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

You might want to check with your credit card. Some of the better ones may cover something like this when it happens so close to the purchase date. Also, next time, order a cheap case for under $10 from Amazon ahead of time to protect it until your real case arrives. Good luck.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if he was to commit fraud like you're suggesting is this minor scuff worth wasting $230 on?
    I don't think so. I wouldn't.

13. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

14. 2015Girl macrumors 6502

2015Girl

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Almost as much so as they are presumptuous & judgemental. o_O

16. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

Truth

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep in mind that Geniuses don't care if you pay more in deductible due their lenient policy of 1) allowing you to add AC+ to damaged iPhones after the fact and 2) letting you pay the deductible to swap out for a mint condition iPhone before AC+ expires. Apple just passes the cost to you in the form of higher deductible. They've jacked up the deductible from originally $49 to $79 to now $99.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It used to amaze me too . . . Not any more, this is more and more common.

19. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I agree, I am always so sad and disappointed when that first scratch happens but after that, I relax about it and feel less uptight about my phone. It ends up not being a bad thing b/c I think I enjoy the phone more once I have scratched it and can use it without having to baby it.

20. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

Touch up around the camera with a black sharpie and move on, just wait until you drop it and really damage it to swap it out. Get the AC though now for the future.

21. hcemin macrumors newbie

Now that it happened let it go, otherwise it will drive you crazy. It's not big deal tbh

22. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It is not fraud because Apple will actually make money for the OP to buy AC+ and then pay the replacement cost. They would lose this opportunity to make more money if OP decided to just live with his scuffed phone.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So if Apple makes money then fraudulent activity is ok?
    Let me go scam the insurance company but since they make plenty of money then it's ok.

24. silverblack, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Invalid analogy. Scamming involves lying or purposefully withholding information.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Read the post above by daflake and follow the link with the binding legal terms and conditions.