SD Card reader don´t work.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baunkjaer, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Got my refurbished MBP last week.
    I´m happy with it, except the SD card reader doesn´t work. I´ve tried with two different SDHC (Kingston/SanDisk).. They don´t mount. If I use my USB reader, both cards works smooth.
    Any solution/fix?
    MBP runs OS X 10.8.4

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only solution is to exchange it. Ports like these are not fixable, and the only solution is to replace the logic board. Since it s a new (refurb) computer I'd contact apple and get it replaced sooner then later.

Sorry on hearing about it not working though :(

As an amateur photographer I'd really miss the SD card if mine weren't working and while there are work arounds (buying an USB sd card reader) being so new I'd look to apple to replace the computer

3. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Check if the card is sliding in all the way. In my rMBP had to slightly sand the card to make it work, so perhaps the problem is not the machine per se.

4. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, unfortunately, I didn´t buy the machine at Apple. I bought it via www.dba.dk which is something like craigslist here in Denmark.

It doesn´t mean that much to me, as the MBP is used as a supplement to my MP, were I just use the USB-reader.

The reader shows up i System Profiler...

Attached Files:

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

SD cards and card readers in general are extremely flaky in terms of compatibility. It's entirely possible that the first 2 you put in won't work, but the next 2 will.

That said you'd probably need 4-5 SDHC cards as a decent sample size before determining the card reader in your MacBook is defective.