SD Card reader in any of the new iMacs?

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
should have been though, I was astonished that they didn't add that. Thought it would be a no-brainer addition

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why, when you can get a USB card reader for $5?

Not everyone needs one.

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Resorting to external devices like USB card readers isn't what the mac is all about... iMac's are "all in ones"

I'm not even saying I'd use it that much I'm just saying I figured that would be an easy revision for apple and that they'd be adding it for sure

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Yes, the iMacs are also about minimal design. Not adding nonessential stuff to it, just because it'd be good for a percentage of the customer base.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
should have been though, I was astonished that they didn't add that. Thought it would be a no-brainer addition
Because if you add an SD card slot, you'll get people complaining it doesn't have a Compact Flash slot, or a Memory Stick slot, or a ...
And if Apple starts adding slots for all the different card types, it would mess with the clean lines of the iMac. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i still think its a shame that there isn't a USB and headphone port thats slightly more accessible though. for those flash drives head headphone users. just makes sense if you ask me.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I admit i think that it is a shame it lacks the functionality of a built in card reader for all types of flash.

I do a LOT of photography and it is a pain in the butt to have to use a usb card reader that plugs in to the back of the mac. would be much simpler to just take it out of the camera and slot it in the side - like the CD drive.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I admit i think that it is a shame it lacks the functionality of a built in card reader for all types of flash.

I do a LOT of photography and it is a pain in the butt to have to use a usb card reader that plugs in to the back of the mac. would be much simpler to just take it out of the camera and slot it in the side - like the CD drive.
If you do "a LOT of photography", why are you using a USB card reader? Firewire is the only way to go, my friend.