Seagate 3TB, Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling, Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tonybyatt, Sep 1, 2013.

1. tonybyatt Guest

tonybyatt

New to Mac and Apple in general...

I have a Mid 2012 cMBP with latest non-Maverick OS and I want to connect an external hard drive...

I have a Seagate 3TB Hard Drive which I put in a Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure, but I kept getting a disk unrecognizable/unreadable. I was worried I lost all my files. I then connected the hard drive to a Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter and the Macbook read it like a normal external drive, all my files were there and intact...

My question is what external enclosure would be compatible with the Seagate 3TB hard drive and readable on a cMBP?

2. thedeske, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I installed 2 of those enclosures recently. One with a western digital 2tb & the other with a seagate 2tb. Both perform well with a new iMac. I could care less about the lights. UASP bridge was the sell point for the install.

Try a different USB 3 cable?

On another note, I have a Thermaltake BlacX 5G dock that works perfectly with every bare HD I have except 1 WD 500GB Black. I know the drive is fine, so hmm again ;)

Here's one - Mediasonic ProBox 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed (K32-SU3)

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

Before I sold my 2 5G enclosures that was my experience with them.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Forgot to mention OWC Mercury elite pro. Had luck with those and 4TB HDs from WD and Seagate.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Just a quick suggestion: The 3TB Seagate Backup Plus already has an USB 3.0 enclosure, hosts the same 7200RPM drive you've bought and it costs $10 less then the bare drive.

6. tonybyatt thread starter Guest

tonybyatt

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at getting the NewerTech MiniStack enclosure...

Nah, I got the bare drive for $90 last year during Amazon's Holiday Sales...