Seagate 7200.4 500gb 7200rpm hdd too noisy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasole, Oct 6, 2010.

1. hasole macrumors member

Hi

I've got a seagate 7200.4 500gb hdd, although it is fast. It vibrates a lot in my mbp.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking of swapping to a 640gb 5400rpm hdd.

Thanks

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yeap i'm right up that alley.
    also if you would have googled or mroogled it there have been other threads on this.

3. hasole thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I had it in my optibay and it annoyed me so much, I've pulled it out and put the superdrive back in.

it now lives in my external fw800 enclosure.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i have a 250GB 7200.4 in my first gen MacBook Pro and no vibration issues.

5. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I just swapped to Western Digital 500GB 7200 rpm, and it annoys the hell out of me. It vibrates under my palms from both sides and I hate it so badly. I'am thinking what to do. My friend told me to open up my MBP and insert something on the sides of hard drive to isolate vibrations (folded paper napkin or rubber) I'am going to try it tonight see if it helps.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I put that exact same seagate in my MBP - no vibration issues at all. However, mine is not in the optibay. Maybe that has something to do with it?

7. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Did you guys take the mounting screws off the sides of the stock HDD and put them on the new one? If not it will vibrate the laptop. I just put in a WD Scorpio Black 7200 HDD and I don't hear a sound.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I dont know what you define as "loud" but I just put a Momentus XT in mine 2-3 weeks ago and yes it does make the normal noises and has vibration but thats to be expected and the noise is really unoticeable unless your in a dead silent room and the hdd is working...

9. pyroo macrumors member

If you don't mind slower HDDs, use western digital scorpio blue, its dead quiet, in a quiet room, I can only hear the fans working, not the HDD spinning.

10. sup3r1or macrumors regular

The problem is not the sound, I cant hear it but I can feel it. Its is really really noticeable when I rest my hands on laptop when I'm typing. It vibrates like 10x more than the stock hdd, I could not feel the old one at all, but WD scorpio black I can feel a lot. Whole computer is vibrating from left and right

11. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i've got a 2010 seagate 500GB 7200.4 and its very quite, no vibrations either. only thing i ever hear is my fans. by the way, i've also got a 5400RPM 500GB HDD in the optical bay via MaxUpgrades MaxConnect kit that i keep a 350GB iTunes library on.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I had that HDD it did vibrate it a bit more than I would have liked.

13. hasole thread starter macrumors member

Noise I can put up with, its the massage on my wrist/palms.

I'm using the newmodeus caddy which is missing the 2 screws on the outside.

I've just put my ssd in the caddy and the 500gb where the stock one is so it is more secure. Seems a bit better, maybe even bearable now.

Just gotta benchmark the ssd in the optibay but it should be exactly the same as the other sata connector.