Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200 Rpm Vs The 320 7200 Rpm Hd Being Shipped From Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevieapollo, Mar 11, 2009.

1. stevieapollo macrumors member

HELLO BESIDES THE EXTRA STORAGE DOES THE SEAGATE MOMENTUS DRIVE OFFER BETTER PERFORMANCE THEN THE 320 7200 RPM DRIVES THAT ARE OFFERED IN NEW MBP? I WAS TOLD THAT THE DRIVES THAT ARE PUT IN THE NEW MACBOOK PROS ARE SEAGATE 320 7200 RPM. SO I WAS WONDERING IF THE 2 DRIVES WILL PERFORM EQUAL OR IF I SHOULD SAVE $$ AND ORDER THE STOCK 5400 AND BUY THE MOMETUS AS SOON AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE?

2. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Save money and buy the stock. You can see from my signature I put in the 7200.4 Momentus from Seagate. Its perfect. I have the AS model not ASG. I actually bought the 7200 320GB upgrade from Apple but that was a total waste of $50 since I replaced it. It was my first time installing so if I wasn't able to do it or backed out I wanted to have the best Apple had to offer.

3. isaki87 macrumors regular

Take the stock option and buy the Seagate HDD, its great for the money.

4. stevieapollo thread starter macrumors member

my big question is the performance? since i cant find the seagate momentus 500 7200 anywhere i ordered my mbp with the 7200.

is the only difference in the 2 drives the extra storage or will i notice a performance boost?

and to those who have it where the hell did you order it from? lol

5. isaki87 macrumors regular

http://barefeats.com/note05.html

Hope that answers your questions.

I ordered mine from newegg shortly after it came out.

6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I got mine from New Egg in early February. I guess it sold out now that everyones new MBP's have started arriving. Its supposedly faster than a smaller capacity 7200 RPM drive.. but I never used the smaller capacity one so I won't confirm that. I got it for both storage and speed, considering SSDs are a rip off even at 250GB.. not that I would go any less than 500GB anyways.