Seagate Momentus XT 500GB as secondary drive in optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProphetX, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ProphetX macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there would be any added benefit from using a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB as my secondary optibay drive as opposed to just getting a WD 750gb black edition 7200rpm drive?

Right now my setup is 240gb owc ssd in hdd bay with my stock 500gb 5200rpm hitachi in the optibay.

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

The apps you use most often would load quicker.

3. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I'm running an Intel 320 120GB SSD in the Optibay and the WD Scorpio Black 750 GB HDD in the stock bay. Reason being the Scorpio Black does not have SMS. I have used both the drives you mention and found the Seagate to be power hungry, while also vibrating more than the WD. I feel the Scorpio Black 750GB is the best HDD on the market at this time. YMMV

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    -1 for the momentus xt

i had quite a few issues with it when i tried to install it to my last mac
    it kept freezing up and crashing, then there were kernal seizures left right and centre

this also was a problem, but of somewhat less frequency when running win 7 via bootcamp...

i end up returning the drive after 3 days as it was very frustrating

i replaced it with WD scorpio black, and imho could not tell the difference btwn the two.. except the scrpio drive worked flawlessly

5. cube macrumors G5

People shouldn't comment on the Momentus XT unless they are running the SD25 firmware.

6. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I have a momentus xt and it works perfectly, and its fast.