Seagate's 2.5" 1.5 TB Laptop Drive Double the size of a normal 2.5"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wicked1, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

If anyone is thinking of cracking open one of the new Seagate External 2.5" Go Flex Mobile drives to put into a Mini or MacBook Pro, do not bother, I opened mine up just to see and the new 1.5TB drive is double the thickness as a standard 2.5" drive, so for now it will remain a Time Machine Drive, and only a TM Drive.

Hopefully someone makes a bigger drive that will fit into a Mini, I need a 2 TB drive soon Please.

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

If its a 12.5 you can put it in the hd place but not in an optibay

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

No this 1.5 TB drive by Seagate is literally twice the sixe of my 500GB Seagate 2.5" HDD, will not fit.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's likely a 15mm height, which I don't know of anything other than an enclosure that will accommodate it. I wouldn't expect a 2TB drive that will fit in a mini for at least a year, probably two or more.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes it's 14.5mm or something like that. I have one.

They are really slow also. But make great backup USB drives.

Rant: I put mine in a cheap aluminum case that I had as they get really hot in the plastic non-ventilated USB/FW cases that these guys sell ( which is crazy IMHO ). It's like they don't care if the drive is damaged eventually. They probably have calculated the cost savings between making an expensive enclosure vs. drive failures, and determined it's more cost effective to let the drive fail; which it may not, but then why put fans in the more expensive enclosures? (rant over)

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Which Enclosure did you use, because the drive does get hot, and I would prefer FW800 over USB 2.0

7. mac jones, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

It's a problem, and I believe FW800 is going to be much worse with heat than USB.

I'm pretty sure your not going to find an enclosure that will fit these drives. I strongly suggest that you don't buy anything by spec, as it's just too difficult to gauge if your going to get lucky with a fit. ALL enclosures will be for the smaller sizes and they tend to design them for a tight fit, obviously. I have one that used rubber supports so I took those out and it fit (barely). Another solution that I use that I actually like a lot is a simple cheap case mod.

My solution is sort of lame but I'm happy with it. I bought several aluminum 2.5" enclosures far about $6 a piece at amazon.(link below)
    I just cut a couple small pieces of the top front case (just enough to fit the port and light) and then wrap around a couple pieces of electrical tape to hold it together (the aluminum can be cut with regular scissors). The un-modded cases are just held together by friction (very cheap), so the tape is a good idea even with a regular 9mm drive. Works really well and it is going to dissipate heat as good as anything. So what you have is basically, a drive with an aluminum wrapper. Everything is pretty much covered up. Very minimal. I actually use this rather than the regular USB case that fit this (probably the only one in existence that does (discontinued). I have two of these 14mm drives I did this way.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Dri...A91C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317148791&sr=8-3

you can get these a number of places. Very common. I have about 4 and they never have failed (inspite of any reviews). I like these cases a lot as they are simple and very light, and seem to work as good as any.

Actually, the only reason I would suggest this sort of thing, is that for the life of me, I could not find another solution, and the heat build-up made me nervous.

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Why do you think FW 800 would have more of a heat issue?

I seriously doubt the enclosure Seagate uses are a heat issue anyway.