Sealed iPhone 4...value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulemanaaa, Nov 8, 2011.

1. sulemanaaa macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So bestbuy lost my iPhone 4 and gave me a brand new sealed pack iPhone 4 32 black! The employee who lost it bought me a a new one at full retail cost. I took it in for zagg install walked around the store and boom it's gone. They can't find it.

What are my options in terms of selling it? I have the receipt as well so it's not stollen or anything.

eBay? Craigslist?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

If selling on eBay, check completed listings for what others have sold for. If selling on Craigslist, search Google using "site:craigslist.org" before your search terms to again see what others are offering it for.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would go CL so you dont have to pay the ebay and Paypal fees for the transaction.
    I'd say $400-450 maybe?

4. zelaya macrumors 6502

That's crazy that it was stolen. I'm sure the store have cameras to see the person who took it. In regards to selling it, I'd strongly advise you to sell it locally on craiglist. Drama free.

5. noodlelegs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope you backed up your data first. Also did you go to findmyiphone.com and remotely erase everything?

6. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

He said BestBuy lost his phone when he took it in for a Zagg install, so the employee that lost it bought him a new one, still in box. He didn't say it was stolen.

This story is shady if you ask me...

1) Why would the employee buy you a new one? Even if it was his/her fault, the company would have compensated you, not the employee.
    2) They have cameras everywhere. They'd be able to see what happened to the first phone. And they'd sure as hell make sure they knew what happened to it before giving you a new phone.
    3) Although there are plenty of nice people out there, I seriously doubt that a Best Buy employee would step up and buy you a phone at full retail price.
    4) You don't seem to be concerned at all about your old phone. You're not worried about the info that you have in it being exploited...instead you're more worried about how much you can make by selling the new phone.
    5) Why would you want to sell it? Your phone is supposedly lost, and you want to sell the replacement? Wouldn't that leave you without a phone? :confused:

It just doesn't add up.

7. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

IMO either this a coincidence and the OP is happy that is was stolen because he can now sell a brand new iPhone 4 and buy a 4S or something else. Or there is more to this shady story.

Now to the OP I recommend you sell via Craigslist or eBay, don't bother with Amazon Marketplace. If you do go eBay sell it for $50-$100 more so when the fees come in (they are 10% of the final sale price) you can pay them but still end up making more than you would on Craigslist.

8. MallCop macrumors 6502

Id say its worth about $450 on ebay and around $400 on craigslist depending where you are.

9. sulemanaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

we did and camera doesn't cover the desk of the mobile section, it covers like the computers/mp3. Camera is like right above the desk :(

----------

This is was for iPhone 4 which i jailbroken on ios 5, it was turned off i took it in so i can put a shield on it and sell it on craiglist, because i already have my 4S.

i tried sending it the msg using the website but noting :(

----------

read my other comments. this was my 4 and i already have my 4s. It doen't boot up, it freezes on apple logo but you have to teather boot it because i jailbroke it on ios 5+this is the second time that employee has done this according to her supervisor and you want me to show u the receipt?

10. sulemanaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

also how do i report it stolen or missing? i know i had it exchanged out onces at the apple store would they have the serial number for it or atnt?

11. jkeekij macrumors regular

Let me get this straight. You had an iPhone 4 that doesn't boot properly, and took it to Best Buy to get a Zagg installed to turn around and sell it???

12. sulemanaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

are you readin what i typed? its tethered jailbreak so you have to tethered boot it everytime its turned off

13. greganpace macrumors regular

I'll back the OP up. My father-in-law is a GM for bestbuy and this happens all the time. You'd be suprised how easy it is to steal at a place like that, even with cameras and sensors. And if the employee was being careless it would be stupid for the company to back him up.

14. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

What price do you have in mind? We'll tell you if it's high or low...

15. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

If the employee bought it for retail price, is there any chance that it's a factory unlocked iPhone 4? If it is, you can sell it for way more than $400.
    I sold mine about a month ago on eBay for $700. It was a black 32GB iPhone 4. Still have 2 months apple warranty.

16. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

if you have receipt, can you return for store credit?

17. sulemanaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

no its not unlocked

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you won't find an unlocked iPhone sold at bestbuy.
    Only at an Apple store.

19. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you have the receipt then return it for a full refund - the best price you'll get.

20. sulemanaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

She paid for it. If I return it. It goes back to her card. You can't get cash back

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If it really is sealed and brand new, it should be worth it's retail price

i4 8Gb - $449
    i4 16Gb - $549
    i4 32Gb - $649

Of course those are retail prices ... so, you may have to shave off a bit since you're reselling it.