Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
I am searching for a tidbit of Apple's history that I cannot seem to find. I would like to know if there is a reasoning behind the fact that the first "apple" logo was a rainbow, and not some specific solid color (as it now exists). I have been searchingn the web for a while and cannot seem to find any explanation. I dont know if any exists, but I'm just curious. Thanks to all those who help!

PS I know the apple-with-the-bite wasn't Apple's first logo
PPS I found out an interesting bit about the paying homage to Alan Turing

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
A found a history of the apple logo at http://www.macnyt.dk/. It says this about the stripes:

According to Linzmayer’s book, Janoff added the colored stripes - green, yellow, orange, red, purple and blue - to the apple logo, because of the Apple II's by then, impressive color possibilities. The logo was in fact used at the launch of the Apple II. Bill Kelley also remembers, that the colors in the logo were there because of the Apple II's colorful possibilities - according to him though, it was Steve Jobs who came up with the idea with the colors and ended up specifying several of the hues.

The articles are from 2002, and can be found at the following links (note that I have provided links to every page because the links on the site no longer work)

The history of the Apple logo - a new series of articles at Macnyt
The early start and a missing graphical identity (1)
The genesis of the world famous apple logo (2)
The apple logo in the first printed matters (3)
The logo on the computers - a sign of quality (4)
Further streamlining: The stripes disappear (5)
Later interpretations of the logos meaning (6)
Sources to the history of the Apple logo (7)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.