Searching hard drive connected to Airport Extremeover network=no results! help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jaikie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jaikie macrumors newbie

I have a LaCie hard drive attached to one of the USB ports on my airport extreme. I don't use it for back-ups, as I use an iomega drive for that, but simply storage of extra files. The odd thing is that I can't seem to search the drive over the network from my laptop. Yet when I connect the hard drive directly to my laptop, it works just fine.

I have enabled file sharing in airport utility. Also, I just noticed that while my Epson printer is connected to the other port and I can use it just fine from the print menu, it doesn't show up under the printer menu on the airport utility.

This drive is mac-formatted, but I thought I'd pose this question here, as many of you seem to be knowledgeable enough to figure this out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

It may have only one port but it can be used with a hub to add multiple devices.

OP, do you have Connected Servers enabled in your Finder preferences so that it shows up in your side bar? Can you connect to the hard disk using Command+K?

It may be that some hard drives will work with AirDisk while others might not. I'd suggest trying to reformat it if you can (pull the data off, reformat, try again), or create a second partition and see if that partition shows up.