Seattle Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gsugolfer, May 31, 2013.

1. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

2. zin macrumors 6502

People fighting for better wages. Totally laughable. :rolleyes:

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Hint:

What workers demand in a strike is rarely what they will end up getting....

When there is another round of wage-negotiating around here it's allways the same:
    -Union demands +8%
    -Employeers stay silent
    -Union demands threatening strikes
    -Employeers offer 0.x% and claim the can't really afford that
    -At about 4-5% (over 2 years) a deal is made without any proper strike

So the guy that now makes 9.95 will probraly end up with 11-12$/h.

Now if nurses make less than thats a sign that they are underpaid, not that others are overpaid.

Heck here in Germany fast-food chains are one of the few areas that actually have a minumum wage (7.50Euro).

5. gsugolfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Thinking that flipping burgers is worth of $15/hour, however.

Don't take it out of context.

Our current national minimum wage is $7.25 (5.60 Euros), but is increasing to $9.25 (7.13 Euros)

6. iJon, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Maybe instead of striking they should invest in themselves so they don't have to work at a fast food chain.

You're only as good as your options.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There is some irony here :p;)

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I'd say flipping burgers should atleast allow for a basic life-style without the need for outside help (foodstamps or suchlike).

No idea how high the cost of living is in Seatlle, but if it actually does take 15$ than thats the lowest "fair" wage that can be paid.

Sure it means that your burger will go to 1.29 instead of 99ct, but who ever said you had the right for 99ct burgers ???

@iJon
    Apart from the fact that there is a great portion of the population that simple aren't able to better themselves beyond burger-flipping (some even not that far) it would only work on a personal level.

If every burger-flipper in the US (or elsewhere) would start some of education or a buisness, they would only be competing with those allready on such a path.

In the end you would have a bunch overqualified workers who just can't find any other job than burger-flipping.

Or in short, does work on an individual basis, not for a society as a whole.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It isn't that far off from what some other countries pay. Fast food is extremely cheap in the US. If wages were higher, it would probably cost more, but I wouldn't really care. What I find abhorrent is the people who dump on others for wanting higher wages. As for the nurse example, entry level nurses are underpaid too. A lot of potentially lucrative positions tend to gate things that way as they know younger people without families will endure it. That doesn't make it a good practice.

10. localoid, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

For those thinking fast food wages are the same nationwide and that FF workers always make minimum wage:

Fast food wages vary a good bit in some areas/states (because wages are usually determined by supply and demand.)

This is nothing new. Wages for fast food workers in some areas of the country has been rising above minimum wage for 20 years or more.

[​IMG]

According to the DOL, wages paid to fast food workers in Washington (state) is the 2nd highest in the U.S., with an hourly mean wage of $10.50.

Attached Files:

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ah yes, looks like I wrote your instead of you're. Luckily my salary doesn't depend on my message board spelling and grammar skills :)

12. zin macrumors 6502

It's not taken out of context. Allowing the market to dictate whether or not you "deserve" a basic standard of living is possibly one of the most inhumane things I've ever known.

Maybe it's entry-level nurses that are being severely underpaid rather than thinking flipping burgers is overpaid.

Or maybe it's because corporations in the US (and indeed, many countries) use the government to subsidise their employees through the use of the welfare systems.

If they can barely scrape by even with government assistance, how on earth do you think they're going to be able to afford an education? An American education is expensive, and you think these people will be able to afford to invest in that, and survive at the same time as learning?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just wanted to strongly second that.

Right ON for workers fighting for better wages.

You go workers!

----------

Life costs $15/hour.

Have you been to the grocery store lately?

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Fire them all and replace with with teenagers willing to work for minimum wage.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Look at it this way. If that is possible, then the workers have no leverage. If they're hiring adults, it means they don't want to deal with school schedules or flaky teenagers.

16. gsugolfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Yes I have. I'm a "homeowner" (in quotes due to having a mortgage) who works in a professional industry.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If the fast food employers in WA could replace their existing $10.50 per hour workers with "teenagers willing to work for minimum wage" they would have done that a long, long time ago.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Washington's minimum wage is much higher than that of the US. I'm sure this is one of the major reasons.

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

What are you imagining? That they can take time off work and go become lawyers or astronauts?

Maybe they don't have the time or means to 'invest in themselves'. Maybe they don't have sufficient academic skills, or have three jobs already, or have kids to feed, or need the benefits, or anything else which might structure their options. Maybe they can't get loans, or don't have the option to go to school part time.

And do you think that every fast food worker can invest in him- or herself and cease working in fast food? This would just depress the labour market again and we'd be back to square one. In other words, some people can definitely transition to other jobs, but everyone can't.

In fact, you might find in this situation that the people who could already transition to other jobs already have! So your solution to the people left, who can't, is either "@#$% you, accept your lot"; or you recognize the right of workers to pursue just compensation.

20. localoid, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Possibly, but it's usually supply/demand.

I worked 15 yrs. in personnel recruitment. By the 1990s, across the U.S., it was becoming increasingly difficult for fast food and full-service restaurants to attract enough workers to fill openings. Turnover was high...

More often that not, fast food openings are usually less than 40 hours a week jobs -- they're often just 25 hours per week jobs. This was fine for teenagers living at home, but made it tough for anyone who needed to make ends meet.

As the number of Baby-Boomer teenagers declined, there were simply fewer and fewer young people who needed or wanted to work. Wages began to rise to $10 an hour in the northeast by the mid-1990s and the fast food industry was forced to depend less on teenagers. Restaurants then turned to other marginalized worker groups, such as recent immigrants, the elderly, the handicapped, etc.

The 2001 book, Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal, noted all of this and also noted that English was the 2nd language of about 1/6 of U.S. fast food workers, with about 1/3 of that group not able to speak any English other than "McDonald's English".

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's a good discussion. A couple of years ago, in exasperation a forum member (different forum) asked me "what, do you want the minimum wage to be $20?" and my answer was that an ideal society should be constructed so that businesses can employee full time workers at a living wage.

To everyone, is that outrageous?

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Of course it is, because people think that they don't "deserve" the money, they haven't worked as "hard" as I have. Without having a gander at other factors.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Most people seem to have little or no sympathy/empathy for the working poor unless they've actually lived that life or interacted with the working poor on some sort of personal/professional level.

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

To comment on the Seattle situation (Disclaimer: I have only been here a year, originally from Chicago but cost of living is similar).

Seattle isn't a cheap place to live.

At the current minimum wage one could get by but that is about it. You are effectively trapped which I think is the complaint of most of these workers.

I personally don't eat fast food, but I know of Dick's and I like how they do it:

This is the kind of thinking we need on this issue. Not the typical "you are living beyond your means", "get a real job" and similar remarks.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fast food work is supposed to be for teenagers to get a start, not for 30-40 year olds to make a career out of it.