Seattle rises minimum wage to 15 dollars over 2.5 years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by grandM, Oct 29, 2014.

?

rising minimum wage is a ... thing

1. good

39 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. neutral

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. bad

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

2. chown33 macrumors 604

3. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Anyone know why it's over 2.5 years rather than immediately? Surely its supporters want to see all the positive effects now rather than years in the future.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because small businesses need time to adapt. Already, a number of mom & pop shops are laying off employees or leaving Seattle altogether, because they can't afford remain in business.

The supporters of this measure wanted $21/hour effective immediately.

5. flatfoot99 Guest

ridiculous...

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I've never understood a country where you can live on $15 an hour without some sort of welfare assistance.

----------

I live in a country where that's the minimum wage, and businesses jump up and down, but put the shoe on the other foot people need to be able to at least subsist on one job and you can't do that on $15 an hour.

7. flatfoot99 Guest

You're not suppose to live on it!!! Its for kids flipping burgers and working at the mall. When did all this entitlement happen? Folks on welfare deserve iphones? People should be able to raise a family from a flipping burger carreer? What the ... happened to this country. No more working hard to get to the top anymore I guess... This mentality is really going to screw up this country.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Those people flipping your burgers and waiting your tables are also paying bills and probably for their own education also, let's not get us started about that mess.

The minimum wage in the US is all kinds of pathetic.

[​IMG]

9. flatfoot99 Guest

I love how everyone has all these wonderful ideas, but whos going to pay for it? Dont complain when your paying double for that burger!

10. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You sound like the conservative politicians here who say they can't get a coffee on a Sunday because of minimum wage + over time.

I'm that guy that has worked the minimum wage at hours that you've been asleep for a thankless task you couldn't care less about ensuring your groceries are on the shelf in the supermarket, at places like Costco.

Or do you think those groceries magically appear on your shelf delivered by elves and fairies? It's not glorious, but without me you wouldn't have any food to eat. How do you like them apples?

We keep the world ticking, and yet you wouldn't take a dump on a minimum wage worker if they fell over in the street.

Entitlement much?

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Double??? More like 3 to 10 cents more tops. And I'll be more than happy to pay up.

12. flatfoot99 Guest

I worked those jobs too... when I was a kid. (and why would I take a dump on someone?)

13. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You've never heard of a metaphor have you?

14. flatfoot99 Guest

does that take into account everyones salary going up? You cant just raise the bottom, can you? what about the guy making $15 now? hes going to want more and so on and so on...

----------

not that one!

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

16. flatfoot99 Guest

doesnt it cost about 30% more to live in Australia? That probably works out to be the same pay as in the US.

17. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

We have a slightly higher rate of tax yeah, but still.

18. dukebound85, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow stocking shelves takes some talent...

How about those that use real skills to ensure that the deliveries are on time, managing resources, provide/extracting the fuel to run the trucks, the development of electronics to keep things on schedule, etc

The shelf stocker is not the lynchpin to keeping the world ticking as you seem to imply :roll eyes:

Min wage jobs were never meant to be meant to live off of, to save from, save for college from, buy a house with, etc

Said from the guy that has busted his ass in the oil fields at all hours in the day in extreme weather conditions in not as safe of an environment as being inside a nice building in another thankless job

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Of course he is going to want more, but only during the course of inflation through out the years. And in most places the minimum wage is far behind the minimum cost of living.

So hate minimum wage hikes or hate government assistance, but please, you can only choose one. ;)

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

min wage was never meant to be analogous to the min cost of living wages

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Lets see how minimum they really are, if all minimum workers go on a nation wide strike for a week. America would be in crisis mode.

----------

Says who? Employment is employment.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Crisis? Just an inconvenience. The workers would be in more dire situation then America would be on a whole.

----------
    Yea, I guess little jonny on his paper boy route or dave six pack pushing carts should earn enough to buy a house and support a family with

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You have no clue how wrong you are about that.

Except little johnny doesn't deliver the paper everywhere. It's mostly grown adults who do. This ain't the 1950's in some small town.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And I believe you are exaggerating your claim.

Then those grown adults should get different jobs so it is the little jonnys that deliver the paper

Just because they are adults doesn't mean they are entitled to make a living wage off of basic labor a child can do

25. flatfoot99 Guest

They are the same thing... The goverment forcing me to give my money to someone else. (Except for elderly and disabled, Id gladly give it to the working man though)