Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

so much for people wanting a living wage.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hope you are wearing your asbestos underware. ;)

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think there is any need to worry. Most of the forum are intelligent enough not to get involved discussing a fox news article that draws economic conclusions on the basis of cherry picked anecdotes.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Says who? BLALARLRLARLRLARLALRLAR! :mad:

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I did a quick search for a local take on the story and couldn't find one.

That's not saying the story isn't true ... just that I'd wait for some more information before leaping to any conclusions.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Like most of the threads you start, there is no substance to the article. First of all, their minimum wage isn't $15 an hour and won't be until 2021 for businesses with fewer than 500 employees and 2017 for large employers.

Second, the current minimum wage is $10-11 an hour depending on size of company. How the **** are people supposed to move out of poverty when they got a $0.50 raise in January?

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm not saying the story isn't true.....but the story isn't true.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

do you need NBC /NPR/CNN to state it before you accept it?

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No, I need it to be based on fact. The fact is, the $15 minimum wage hasn't kicked in. That FACT alone invalidates the entire premise of the story. And that's exactly what that is, a story, better yet a fairytale.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I read as much as 14% with this quote:

"The company's San Francisco locations have raised prices by as much as 14 percent, reports Investor's Business Daily, corresponding with the city's 14 percent minimum wage hike that went into effect on May 1."

I live in SF and am more than happy to support this minimum wage and rise in the price of burritos. Even a dollar more is a good deal for a Chipotle burrito.

However, I don't like when liberals don't acknowledge there is a direct connection between raising the minimum wage and the cost of living.

Even worse, the original argument for raising the minimum wage in the first place is because of the high cost of living! How's that for circular logic?

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Say a burrito costs $10 before the wage increase. Would you rather make $15/hour and pay $11 for a burrito or make $9/hour and pay $10 for a burrito?

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't think anyone has ever denied that you'll see price hikes alongside minimum wage increases. Businesses have to find a way to recoup that extra expenditure somehow.

But the cost of goods doesn't increase percent for percent alongside wages. If minimum wage were to go from $8 to $16 per hour, a 100% price increase, a $3.50 burrito won't suddenly cost $7 the next day. It varies from business to business, but the usual average is about 5-15%.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Seattle's minimum wage is a disaster and they're passing it right on to the consumer. Have you seen how much a 747-8 costs these days???

17. Dmunjal, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

Dmunjal macrumors 65816

The article said prices went up corresponding to the wage increase. Of course, it's not a 1:1 ratio as there are other expenses a business has to face. But labor makes up the majority of retail and food services business.

I'm trying to point out the fallacy of the argument. We are raising the minimum wage to deal with the increasing cost of living knowing that will also increase the cost of living.

A better plan is to find out why so many people are using a minimum wage job as a career.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you're still making more money even after the cost of living increase, then it's still a net gain

True to a point. But at the same time, you have to wonder why some jobs that used to be able to support a family of three have been downgraded en masse to entry level minimum wage positions.

19. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Blame that on globalization and politicians. Besides, what gave Americans the right to a wage that is higher than 99% of the world for the same task?

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Because we have this weird notion of being able to live comfortably off our labors? I dunno.

21. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Because there are no skills required?

22. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Do you think unskilled laborers in China and India have this notion?

23. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I believe the real issue is not wages. Wages have increased over the decades. It's just that prices for stuff has gone up faster. Why is that? Blame that on the Federal Reserve and it's inflationary monetary policy.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Do you think we became the largest economy in the world by shafting our workforce?