Sebelius Said to Resign as U.S. Health Secretary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 10, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was only a matter of time, IMO.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-10/sebelius-said-to-resign-as-u-s-health-secretary.html

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sebelius' parting gift from HHS should be mandatory enrollment in Obamacare and loss of all other health insurance.

3. webbuzz, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

That guy must be a comedian because that is pretty funny. I agree there are a few busses lined up for her.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As she should be. She presided over the botched rollout of the ACA and regardless of hitting the numbers, she deserved to go. I think it was wise to keep her on until the open enrollment period was over. The last thing that was needed was a botched rollout combined with a new Secretary.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's unclear what role she played in botching the rollout. She managed the program but I wonder how tech savy she was and if due to budget constraints they went with the cheapest vendor they could find .I don't know, but I did like her presence when she was testifying on Capital Hill. She seemed like a smart and competent person.

7. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

What would you suppose managers are supposed to do? How would you apportion responsibility for success or failure?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think if you manage a project like Obamacare and it fails you have to go. The buck stops with her.

That's why managers get paid so much.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not saying you guys are wrong especially using the buck stops here standard. I'm just curious what went on behind the scenes. Things were not working, she knew they were not working, but my impression that based on time restraints, they could not simply change vendors.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

She was in charge. Just like anything you always blame the person at the top for any failings so she is an easy scapegoat for this administration.

It was a no bid contract to CGI Federal which is a subsidiary of GCI Group which is a Canadian company and buddies with Obama.

Just a few days ago Sebelius said she would stay on till November. So clearly she got pushed out earlier so the new person can ramp up before second enrollment starts.

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

the problem was that a lot of the rules weren't finalized until the last possible moment and no time to code the business logic and test it properly. and the site was supposed to bring data from dozens of companies which is always a crap shoot

12. zin macrumors 6502

Rightfully so, but the company (or companies) that the Government procured from should be barred from any further public contracts, too.

13. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a crock.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/12/michelle-obama-and-cgi-federal/

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I'm not so sure about that. The Obama White House has a political angle for everything they do and this situation is no exception. My guess here is that they are in fear of losing the Senate. Remember, the HHS Secretary must go through Senate confirmation. Since the Dems got rid of the filibuster and they are currently in the majority, it's an easy step to install Obama's choice for HHS, Sylvia Burwell, in advance of the November elections. If the Senate is lost in November, the confirmation process will be much harder, even though Burwell was recently confirmed as Director of OMB. This is likely why they got rid of Sebelius now instead of waiting until November.

As for Burwell, she's the perfect Obama nominee: an Ivy League graduate that has worked in government essentially her whole career as a policy and budget wonk, without any background in healthcare, insurance, or business. She's worked at Treasury and for several foundations, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Walmart Foundation (query how you people who hate Walmart feel about that?).

I don't think she will be able to run HHS. Nothing against Burwell, but I don't think anyone can do it effectively. The organization is too big, too bloated, and with Obamacare having all the structural and technical problems we've seen, getting it under control is basically impossible. It's sad, but whoever takes on the HHS job is being set up to fail.

15. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There is no reason for Sylvia Burwell to not be confirmed. She was confirmed 96-0 for her OMB job. That said, the Republicans are going to have a field day with the confirmation and the ACA. Darrell Issa will be so jealous. :D

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Right, but OMB is not HHS. Different agency entirely, and given that the Obamacare rollout was such a disaster, expect tough questions from all Senators but especially the Republicans and the Senate Democrats up for reelection in 2014 who voted for Obamacare (Landrieu, Begich, Pryor, Hagan, et al.)

Of course, if history is any guide and the questions get tough, the Democrats will play the "war on women" card at some point in the confirmation process.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

why?
    that website should have spent at least a year in QA working out the bugs. instead from what i've read the rules were only finalized a few weeks or months before it was supposed to go live and no one had enough time to code it properly

the front end website is nothing, all the work is on the back end for the applications that control the workflow, logic and data flow

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I'm not sad to see her go after the Plan B anti-science debacle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/h...er-sale-of-emergency-contraceptives.html?_r=0

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Interesting question. Thinking of all the good Bill is doing now, it would would still be difficult to accept all the harm MS did over the years to get it. Walmart even less so. Providing whatever these foundations do, could be done with less overall cost than doing both. That said, since we cant do anything about either company, the foundations are a nice consolation prize.