Second Amendment Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 5, 2018.

?

How do you regard the Second Amendment?

This poll will close on May 5, 2019 at 7:07 AM.
  1. It should be protected, it’s the best, every citizen gets a gun or ten.

42 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. It’s badly in need of an update placing serious restrictions on who can own a gun.

31 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Repeal- It’s the source of our high rates of gun injury and violence. Get rid of it.

25 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Undecided on the topic- I’m pro gun.

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Undecided- I’m gun neutral.

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Where do you stand?

My position is that the Second Amendment created during the days of ball and powder is in badly need of an update. That as it stands today, the 2A is the single largest reason for the US’s relatively high rates of gun injury, violence, and death. That the idea that every citizen regardless of their stability or psychological profile deserves to have a gun is proven by daily events to be fundamentally flawed. In practically all mass shooting events, we are faced with formerly law abiding citizens who decide to load up and for whatever the reason, a general grievance or unhappiness, or mad at the world, based on a psycho whim, kill as many people/strangers as they can.

The real problem seems to be mental illness and the willingness to identifying those people who have no business being allowed to be gun owners, along with the lack of willingness by the gun lobby to be inconvienenced by effective gun regulations. Lots of excuse making and resistance to inconvienent regulation frequently verbalized as not one more inch.

The secondary issues is elevating guns to idolatry status and the apparent degredation of the sanctity of human life in our society. Someone cuts you off in traffic, or does not move fast enough when the light turns green, get your gun out and teach those bastards a lesson! :(

We are clearly in a situation of our own making and collectively we need to decide how much damage caused by guns is too much and actually do something effective about it.

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Repeal it. Let the people (through their legislators) decide how to regulate gun ownership and use.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Awful choices. How about just leave it alone and let the courts continue to interpret it as they do the other Constitutional questions.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Hey, I covered your position in a poll choice. You don’t think the 2A is the best?? Do you mean the other choices are aweful? ;)

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I said the choices were awful and gave my opinion.

Have you seen the top Urban Dictionary definition of “aweful”?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

You are entitled to your opinion but I gave you a good choice that aligns with your gun view. Why do you consider it an awful choice, because I posted it and you disagree with my agenda? :)

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Your first two choices add value statements. You indeed have an agenda. I don’t play games (much). Since none of them align with my view, I posted it. Let the courts interpret it as they do all other Constitutional issues. Pretty simple as that.

9. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

I think the choice of " Repeal, because I believe in a police state" should have been added to align with many anti-2nd views.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agree the choices are awful.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Repeal and replace.

Outdated rule. Old rules + new technology. We'll either be proactive or reactive. It will change, the only question is how many senseless deaths we'll have beforehand.

12. Huntn, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Rhetorical, no need to respond.
    I’m questioning the description of awful choices.
    The first choice:
    • It’s the best- no, if it’s not the best for a gun proponent, what is better? What would you say instead?
    • Every citizen gets one gun or ten- that makes you uncomfortable? Puts gun owners in a bad light?

The second choice and third choices are plain, no value added statements. There is nothing awful about them other than for a gun proponent, they are offered choices.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

To say that your choices aren’t loaded with your bias is disingenuous at best or outright lies at worst.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

How many times must it be stated, repealing the 2A does not equate to a gun ban, however it does remove the blanket right to own a gun. Nothing like this should be a blanket right without heavy duty considerations and restrictions.

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

To all intents and purposes the guns this legislation is talking about and the guns that exist to day are so far removed from each other it’s almost by definition no longer relevant... definitely should be thoroughly reviewed.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

What do you have an issue with? Please tell me about my bias as manifested in this poll? First off in post 1, I clearly stated my opinion. And as a gun proponent, you don’t think the 2A is the best? Why not? What would be better?

17. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

In addition I think this question should also be offered - " Repeal, because I do not believe Americans have the right to have a bill of rights".

With the Patriot act to the "Freedom Act", Fisa etc.. who needs rights anyway?

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks for your input.

19. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If you want to improve it, remove the value statements.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I voted “undecided/neutral” or whatever it was, but you have to admit that this poll is very similar to that poll Trump put out about his job performance vs Obama’s.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks for your unsubstantiated objection. I guess only strong supporters of the 2A are allowed to call it the best. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2018 ---
    Please clarify if you like, this poll is about the 2A, not Trump or Obama.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

"every citizen gets a gun or ten" is a loaded statement. No one is proposing/stating that everyone should have a gun or ten of them. If you don't see that as a bias statement, then I'm afraid I have nothing more to say to you.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

It certainly is loaded, loaded with the reality. You have a problem with this? I guess when it comes to guns, too much clarity is a bad thing. :(

Gun owners in America now have eight weapons on average - double what it used to be
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...erage-double-what-it-used-to-be-a6703751.html

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

See post above by @ucfgrad93. The commentary about “everyone getting a gun or ten” is hyperbole and clearly paints that particular option in a negative light. Clearly you can see that?

Similarly, Trump put out a poll with options on rating Obama’s job performance from “poor” to “good”, but his own options were something like “other” to excellent. That’s essentially what you’re doing here whether you realize it or not.

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I direct you to post #23. There is nothing hyperbolic about it. Now, if accurately describing the state of gun in the US put’s it in a bad light, that is something important to discuss, no? Or would you rather it not be talked about?