Second line (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLOND37, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

so last week called 611 to inquire about adding a 2nd line..we went thru everything and long story short it would only increase my monthly bill by like $30 or so.. so today go to ATT (corp store) and turns out it DOUBLES my monthly bill.. i called 611 today after leaving the store (called 2x) and both reps said the math was right :(

what could be up with this?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

2nd iPhone line or dumbphone? How much are you paying now, how many minutes, what messaging plan, what data plan?

First you have to select a Family Plan base rate, e.g. 550 minutes / $59.99. Difference there depends on what you have currently, but this is the same price as 900 minutes on an individual plan but losing 350 minutes. If you have the current low-end 450 minute / $39.99 plan you're going to add $20 right there and gain 100 minutes.

Add $9.99 for the 2nd phone

If it's an iPhone, add $15 or $30 for data

If you want family unlimited messaging, that's $30 instead of whatever you're paying now.

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its the samsung galaxy but yea lets say iphone (wink wink).. i have the $39 indv talk plan. unlimited texts, the old unlimi data for iphone plan.

oh i thought the 59 for family talk covered both lines? no? so its 59 +9.99?
    oh and i think another "error" comes in that i dont need texting on the 2nd line.. how much would that knock off?
    why 15 or 30 for data? why the diff i mean?

THANK U!!

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Since you've been banned for life from the AT&T forums, and your question is about the Galaxy, why don't you ask your questions in the Samsung forums?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's $59.99 for the basic pool of 550 minutes, plus $9.99 for each additional phone on the plan. Two phones total is $69.98.

Data for the 2nd phone is $15 for 200MB/month or $25 for 2GB/month.

If you don't need texting on the 2nd phone then no cost for that.

8. deeddawg, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

This is different from what AT&T's site says; it claims the $59.99 covers the first two lines? http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/family-cell-phone-plans.jsp

Something's clearly different between the scenarios the two reps are adding up. Perhaps if you listed the services/cost breakdown between the two then you might get some usable assistance; otherwise it's essentially random guessing.

My guess is the difference relates to features such as data or messaging on the two lines and one rep is adding them in, the other is not. Although messaging feature add-ons are shared by all lines on a family plan, data is NOT shared and is on a per-line basis.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I stand corrected :)

----------

Can be, but don't have to be. I have the 1,000 message plan on one line and 200 message on the other. They don't offer those plans any more, but it looks like you could still just do the $20 unlimited messaging on one line and no messaging on the other, as opposed to the $30 family unlimited messaging.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I had to go look at my bill to double check too, as I remember all my secondary lines are charged $9.99 -- turned out my primary gets charged $9.99 less than the plan rate, so it adds up right. At first glance it looked otherwise though.

My turn to stand corrected. :D
    I'd forgotten about the individual text plans, I have the family unlimited messaging with unlimited mobile to any mobile and that's shared.