Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
So, last night's story was about fresh fries.

I went to the same McDonald's drive-thru again this morning around 3am. The drive-thru is open 24 hours. This time, I didn't even bother to ask for 'fresh fries'.

However, this time, the employee with the microphone asked ME a question.

"Are you paying cash?"

Huh??? It was somewhat perplexing. So, I asked back, "What? Am I paying cash?"

The guy said, "Yes, are you paying cash?" He didn't even say why he has to know. If the credit card machine is not working he would have said so.

So, I just said, "Okay." then, drove up to the window. After paying cash, I peeked inside the window when the guy left to get my order. I could see the credit card machine and the power was on and the little green screen looked fine. Well, yes, perhaps the internet or the phone line could be the problem. Who knows?

But, my suspicion or my hunch at that minute was that, if I pay cash, the employee can keep the money for himself. I ordered three .99 value menu so the total comes to nice even amount of 3.15 with tax. It's easy to calculate. And, he asked me the cash question AFTER I ordered, not before. If they had problem with credit card machine, he would have informed me before I made my order to let me avoid the trouble. Wouldn't you think so?

I know I do not have a hard evidence. But, I believe it's a possibility nevertheless.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
When I worked at a convienence store, we would sometimes run a cashless register that could handle only credit/debit.

He may have been determining which register to use.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you are really this paranoid and suspicious of people then I really believe you should stop frequenting these places. If I had a friend that had repeat stores of suspicion about a cheap ass fast food chain I would have to tell him/her that they're slightly crazy, may need to seek help, and most likely should find a hobby.

I'm just saying that while I am no psychologist, there's something more to you than what anyone on the internet likely knows.

To your point, who cares if he pockets the money. Any fool who is willing to steal money in such small increments is a moron. You got your food and your cash is untraceable back to you. It's not like he ran your credit card through a machine that he took from his pocket. Wait until that happens.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
To your point, who cares if he pockets the money. Any fool who is willing to steal money in such small increments is a moron. You got your food and your cash is untraceable back to you. It's not like he ran your credit card through a machine that he took from his pocket. Wait until that happens.

True. Who cares? You got your food.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
You seem to have issues with fast food joints (both with paranoid tendencies and the frequency with which you eat at them). I'd recommend:
1) Avoidance and possible counselling
2) A lipid profile blood test

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Well, I guess I am not over with the fresh fries incident. That's why I got interested in seemingly suspicious behavior of the employee that is not my business.

I am not paranoid. I am only human. :rolleyes:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Well, I guess I am not over with the fresh fries incident. That's why I got interested in seemingly suspicious behavior of the employee that is not my business.

Is this what you picture when you go to sleep at night? :D

mc-attack.jpg

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

It doesn't really matter what the employee did with your money. That is the worry of the store. If you are that unhappy with that McDonalds, then stop going there.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
come on guys...he clearly just wants to tell the story. hes not coming here to get all of your "expert" advice on whether he should file a police report or not.

It would be very hard for the clerk to steal the money. When he puts your order into the system...it is now accounted for. It doesnt matter what method you pay..credit..debit..check...coins...dollars.. At the end of the day..everything will add up. For him to steal the money, he would just have to grab your things and never actually put an order and receipt together.

as to why he asked are you paying in cash. he has to input that into the order. the method you pay for the order.

more common is for to drive up to the pay window and the person will look and see oh cash or oh debit/credit and then proceed. he just asked before hand..

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Most fast food places I've been to ask "Cash or Credit?" after giving you the total. Your experience just doesn't seem that ominous to me.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
1 - why in the world are you eating McDonalds at 3am? I hope you are not eating that stuff and then going to bed.

2- If your suspicions are correct the employee is stealing from a multi-billion dollar corporation and not from you so I wouldnt stress out about it. Not that stealing is right but you're not helping him, you're just paying for your food so there's really nothing you can do without solid proof.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
1 - why in the world are you eating McDonalds at 3am? I hope you are not eating that stuff and then going to bed.

2- If your suspicions are correct the employee is stealing from a multi-billion dollar corporation and not from you so I wouldnt stress out about it. Not that stealing is right but you're not helping him, you're just paying for your food so there's really nothing you can do without solid proof.

For question 1. I would assume college is a good answer. I know while I was in the dorms we made multiple 2-3am Burger King runs.

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Haven't you ever had a register job? The credit/debit connection goes down every now and then. Also, could have been something with the amount of money in his till for change purposes.

If he wanted to take your money, he would have done it without saying anything to you. I imagine it's pretty hard for employees steal from a place like McDonalds though. They're wired for efficiency and thus 10 different ways to get caught.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
So, last night's story was about fresh fries.

I went to the same McDonald's drive-thru again this morning around 3am. The drive-thru is open 24 hours. This time, I didn't even bother to ask for 'fresh fries'.

However, this time, the employee with the microphone asked ME a question.

"Are you paying cash?"

Huh??? It was somewhat perplexing. So, I asked back, "What? Am I paying cash?"

The guy said, "Yes, are you paying cash?" He didn't even say why he has to know. If the credit card machine is not working he would have said so.

So, I just said, "Okay." then, drove up to the window. After paying cash, I peeked inside the window when the guy left to get my order. I could see the credit card machine and the power was on and the little green screen looked fine. Well, yes, perhaps the internet or the phone line could be the problem. Who knows?

But, my suspicion or my hunch at that minute was that, if I pay cash, the employee can keep the money for himself. I ordered three .99 value menu so the total comes to nice even amount of 3.15 with tax. It's easy to calculate. And, he asked me the cash question AFTER I ordered, not before. If they had problem with credit card machine, he would have informed me before I made my order to let me avoid the trouble. Wouldn't you think so?

I know I do not have a hard evidence. But, I believe it's a possibility nevertheless.

Sorry, but why the daily updates about your rather mundane dealings with McDonalds?

There could have been numerous reasons for asking if you were paying by cash!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It would be very hard for the clerk to steal the money. When he puts your order into the system...it is now accounted for. It doesnt matter what method you pay..credit..debit..check...coins...dollars.. At the end of the day..everything will add up. For him to steal the money, he would just have to grab your things and never actually put an order and receipt together.
It's called "under-ringing", and it's super easy to do.

1. Cashier rings in customers order, tells customer the total.
2. Customer hands cashier the cash.
3. Cashier modifies customers order, usually replacing everything with one single, inexpensive item.
4. Cashier then makes change for the correct total (from step#1), gives customer the correct change, and pockets the difference between the correct total and the new total (from step #3).
5. Customer gets the correct change and correct food.

This is why you see those "If your receipt doesn't match what you ordered/paid, please call us at 1-800-XXX-XXXX" signs in some drive-thrus.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Why on earth would you even go there?

You have problems so you go back there at 3AM?

If he just pocketed your money, why is that a problem for you? You still got your food.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the Third McDonald's story tomorrow. Maybe we could get one a day until xmas??

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
It's called "under-ringing", and it's super easy to do.

1. Cashier rings in customers order, tells customer the total.
2. Customer hands cashier the cash.
3. Cashier modifies customers order, usually replacing everything with one single, inexpensive item.
4. Cashier then makes change for the correct total (from step#1), gives customer the correct change, and pockets the difference between the correct total and the new total (from step #3).
5. Customer gets the correct change and correct food.

This is why you see those "If your receipt doesn't match what you ordered/paid, please call us at 1-800-XXX-XXXX" signs in some drive-thrus.

under-ringing, as you say, is extremely easy to do and is in fact one of the most common ways for employees to steal from a company. I was an HR Manager for several years for a large retail corporation - this among the top reasons why people were fired.

as for all the "who cares" comments, it may have only been $3.15, but employee theft is what drives up much of retail costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.