secret fears of women

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Salasm, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

1. they don't want to turn into their mothers
    2. they fear getting caught wearing dirty undergarments should they die
    3. they fear becoming "bag ladies" and minstrels
    4. wrinkles are to women, what poverty and baldness are to men.

your thoughts?

to those who think this is a missoginistic thread, think again. this is worthy of discussion. thanks and have a good day.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I embrace my future as a hermit. I'll have cats to replace any husband I'll ever need.

And wrinkles are a sign that I've lived my life. Ya, I'm 19 and my tune will probably change as I approach my 40s, but I wish to age like a fine wine... not injected with botox and collagen. :D

As a woman, I'm scared of my car breaking down somewhere and being driven by a super-sketchy tow-truck driver. Happened to my friend and we were terrified for her life.
    I'm also terrified that I'll get mugged/raped/murdered at any moment. Mace on me at all times.

Hee. :D

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I misread this as "fears of secreting women" and immediately thought of an old gender studies class I took.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry Katie, we shall work to make sure you get a daily delivery of catfood for your 200 cats. ;)

Every town need their own crazy cat lady.

5. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I'd be honored to turn into a woman like my mother. She's one of the finest people on the planet, IMO.

I fear dying young and leaving my daughter motherless. Or conversely, I fear her dying and not getting to live the full and happy life I wish for her. :(

I don't think this thread is inherently misogynistic, but I think your original four points are. Dirty underwear? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I aspire to be half the woman my mother was.

What I fear most is being alone, cats are fun for a day but they'd bug me long term.

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

That does seem like a very common theme with women, understandably so.
    They do everythig bigger in texas- she'll have 600 cats.

9. mpw Guest

[hushed voice while kt's logged-off]Who's going to break it to her that her tune changing needs to happen early 30s rather than 'approaching 40'[/hushed voice]

Damned whipper-snapper. I'm dreading hitting 30. What? :dogeyes:

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Which half?

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

bah, 30 was easy. Didn't really even notice it. The only time it sinks in is when I go to the gym and have to type my age into one of the cardio machines.

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

The second half of your post explains the reasoning behind the first half quite well.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I just lost ten years!! Noooooo! My fleeting youth and radiance!

Excuse me as I eat ice cream directly from the tub and cry.. but not so much that my mascara runs.

Woe is me!

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

The bit between the ears primarily.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

not really, I'm pretty good about going to the gym most weeks but have only been going regularly for the last month or so. Something always comes up to disrupt a week or two once I get into the groove. Two weeks ago was a sinus infection, last week I made Monday but then our second daughter was born on Tuesday which sunk the rest of that week and probably this week.

By the time I get back into a routine we'll be back in WI for a week for a couple weddings. I might actually get a month or 2 steady after that.

I eat like crap and like my beer, and only go to the gym because it seems to help my lower back pain and with a toddler and a newborn I do a lot of lifting so if my back hurts it can be rough.

30 didn't take much of a toll on me psychologically and still doesn't, but then I really don't care how old I am as long as I can do what I enjoy.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

They fear becoming minstrels?? How utterly bizarre. (I have this vague feeling that you might have meant "spinster", but that's just a guess....)

--Eric

17. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Well 40 is the new 30...:p

I think women fear this the most...
    Nice Guys
    - It may just seem that way, but it also seems they are drawn to the 'bad boy' and they don't usually see the the 'forest for the trees' while they ignor or have no interest in a guy who will pay attention to them and look after their needs and not be so selfish, etc. Then later in life when they are wanting those things and can't get them they may look back and thing what if :rolleyes: - nah...who knows - I don't know what I am talking about...:eek:

So yeah - they fear nice guys (they do aftr all finish last :p )

I guess I will need to duck to avoid projectiles now...:eek:

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

To be fair, I myself fear becoming a minstrel on a daily basis. It seems they always wind up with their lutes broken over their heads.

Also is this "fear of getting raped" thing really that widespread? Do many women just assume men they don't know are rapists? :eek: I find that disturbing, and kind of offensive. :mad:

19. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

rape is a young man's game. try to imagine having something most guys want, and not having the physical capabilities of defending it.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's still not fair to assume every guy you don't know is a rapist

21. Lau Guest

1. My mum is pretty awesome, so I wouldn't mind being similar to her. However, I take after my dad in a lot of ways too, and that's cool too. You see, when a man and a woman love each other, they make love, and the man plants a seed in the woman's tummy, and then the seed grows into a baby, and the baby is a bit like the mummy, and a bit like the daddy. PM me for more info if you need it.

2. It's not something that bothers me overly, but then I usually try not to make skidmarks in my underwear. I often make the effort to avoid death as well, so between the two, it's not high on my worries list, as such.

3. I can honestly say that I wouldn't make the career choice to be a bag lady, but it's not something I especially fear, in that I don't intend to become one. Oh the other hand, being a minstrel would be awesome, but then I'd have to find a king. And learn the lute. And I'd need a costume. And it would have to be medieval times.
    robin_minstrel.jpg
    But otherwise, I'm like, totally there, man.

4. This is the only one I will answer vaguely seriously, but I think wrinkles are awesome. I like the way they show a person's personality, like if someone's smiley they get crinkley eyes and smiley lines. I hope I get crinkley eye wrinkles. I think they look great, and have no fears whatsoever regarding wrinkles.

I wouldn't say this is a "missoginistic" thread, no. Pandering to (slightly odd) stereotypes? Er, yes. Worthy of discussion? If lots of women saying "Er no, not really" because, OMG, they're all different, is a discussion, then yes, absolutely.

22. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, but to make the leap from "most guys want" to "most guys will physically assault and disregard my wishes to get" is a pretty ****ing absurd leap.

I'm not saying there aren't guys like this. I'm just saying I think the number is a lot smaller than one that'd justify "I carry mace all the time."

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Actually, there are more incidences of assault and rape from people women actually know than from outright strangers. And yes, why wouldn't it be a real cause of concern?

The average man doesn't have to think twice about what he's wearing if he's going to step out to the store after dark. The average man doesn't have to think twice if he's going to out for a run by himself-- regardless of time of day or place. The average man doesn't have to wonder about walking from the subway/ train station back to his home if it's dark out. These are real issues. And they do impact women and our lives.

Boo hoo. I find it disturbing that women can't feel safe in our own communities.

24. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

They don't fear entertaining people? :rolleyes: