Secret U.S. diplomatic cables posted online by WikiLeaks supporters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Apple OC, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

A security leak at Wikileaks.

Who'd have ever thought?

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's really the government that was careless to let this stuff leak out in the first place.

4. 184550 Guest

Yeah! And it's the woman's fault she got raped!

Yes. Sarcasm.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and they just handed more information to governments on a silver platter to press charges against them.

6. 184550 Guest

Oh. The. Irony.

7. StruckANerve, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Better out than in.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

WikiLeaks: Iraqi children in U.S. raid shot in head, U.N. says

8. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

9. 184550 Guest

Completely missed the point.

Which country were you born in? I seem to remember you've talked about growing up in the Germany, no?

10. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I agree that the US government is (in some ways) criminal. But there are far worse governments out there.

WikiLeaks is insanely idiotic to leak the names of informants. I can't believe the unredacted files were ever put on a computer with internet access.

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

And you say it's Americans who have been brainwashed? May want to keep accusations of being brainwashed a little - perhaps, a lot - closer to home.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's about time you accepted that no government is without sin, except maybe Sweden. ;)

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I know you jest a bit, but to be clear, I am no blind defender of America/Americans. What I do enjoy, however, is correcting - and it appears I am the only one at times - random-ass, sweeping, generally-unsupported, back-away-from-the-edge negative generalizations coming from "the left." Why the left? Because if someone "on the right" as much as farts around here, there will be fifteen hit posts. When it's the opposite, nary a comment can be found.

So, back to the topic. When we left off, Ahmed was lecturing us on how Americans have been brainwashed, and how America is the e-e-e-e-e-vil-est country in the world. I find that interesting, especially the part about being brainwashed. When I read the following comments, I believe it is fair to question who is drinking what Kool-Aid.

So, while others may be uninterested, I waver somewhere between bemusement, curiosity and slight concern when I see the PRSI stagger - unchecked - in this direction.

And as an aside, consider - just for kicks and giggles on a Friday - if I posted the following:

14. kavika411, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Alright, Ahmed. You have made it abundantly clear what politicians - generally and specifically - you think are awful. You have made it abundantly clear you believe the US/US government - through the years - is awful. You have made it abundantly clear what the lowest of the low is.

We get it.

My question is this. Where do you, in recent history, see good in government and politicians? I'm not talking about one-off examples, but about types of governments that do work well, groups of politicians that are interested in advancing their voting constituents in lawful and moral ways.

I'll go ahead and give away the big surprise, because I don't have much time left to post today. My guess is that you are one of those all-governments-are-corrupt and all-politicians-are-slime kind of people - that there is no such thing as good government. Yet - and again, I'm just guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) - I bet you think the private sector is even more evil. So, if I'm right on those two assumptions, I'm left wondering whether you are a genuine anarchist, or just a whiner.

Again, I may be way off on all that. Gotta roll...

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Then some of my assumptions were incorrect. Thanks for answering.

16. Macky-Mac, Sep 2, 2011

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sweden? this would be the same sweden that aided the german invasion of the soviet union during ww2?

norway, denmark and canada all participated in what I suspect you would call the "military aggression " in afghanistan so perhaps you're giving them more credit than deserved

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP, Sep 2, 2011

GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You're completely out of touch with reality. If you really believe this there's nothing that's worth debating with you. Disliking some of the things America has done (yeah, there have been incidents, even recently) and living here is fine, but you have to wonder why the hell you're still here if you foster such hatred for it and think we're on the same level as Nazi Germany or Communist Russia. You wouldn't live there, would you? My guess is that, based off other threads, you're just a person who overgeneralizes everything and harbors hatred for pretty much everything you disagree with/don't understand.

18. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

A reliable indicator that this is not true is that you're free to write this on MR without the police breaking down your front door tonight. :)

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Anyone know whether the former president or vice president are planning any trips overseas where they might be subject to the jurisdiction of the Hague? If not, why?

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unfortunately, your accounting is highly inaccurate and arbitrary. An example; during WW2 the germans killed over 23 million in the Soviet Union alone. There were millions more in other countries you need to add to germany's tally.....yet you're trying to limit germany's kill total to only 6 million? It's an absurd claim!

Using your approach to assigning blame.....you could just as easily add all of Franco's death toll to Germany since it "put him in power" before the war.

Your "accounting" is simply wrong

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Indeed, if we look at the Nazi extermination camps alone-you would have to include 5 million non-Jews who also died in addition to the 6 million as some research would have revealed.

http://www.holocaustforgotten.com/

http://www.ukemonde.com/holocaust/victims.html

I understand the point you are trying to make Ahmed about US foreign policy but it does not help your case when you make flawed historical statements.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Right as usual when someone is shown up as wrong they could at least acknowledge it. :mad:

23. 184550 Guest

Because you were gracious about being 'right'? ;)

24. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Maybe not gracious (sorry about that), but I am still right. :D

25. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The only difference between most western countries and China is that China isn't so secretive about its kitten eating habit.

I would disagree, Evil is evil, regardless of implementation. Western politics is slowly becoming Fascist, and the public won't protest until its too late.