Secretary Ben Carson addresses employees: "Slaves were hardworking IMMIGRANTS"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Mar 6, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you just can't make this crap up. I think this guy took physician heal thyself to heart.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That sounds like a retarded statement he would make.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think he has said other things like that about slavery if I remember right. trump know how to pick them for sure.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No! You ****ing idiot, no! Slaves were not thinking that their grandchildren would have a better life in America while tied up in the bottom of a slave ship! Jesus Christ!!!!

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Technically slaves were immigrants, not willing ones, but that's another story. I also have few doubts that once they were here they were hoping for a better treatment for their children if they had them.

It is a bit disengenuous to characterize the first generation slaves in the same "boat" as those who came here willingly though.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Technically? If you're a robot and only take the definition completely literally. I can't imagine ANYONE saying that the original slaves were immigrants. And yet - now someone has said that.

But you know - Trump ONLY hires the best people.

My rant isn't really aimed at you - it's at Ben Carson for being a complete idiot.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or is this the end result of one.

9. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

humm I think he has already attempted it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    I think you missed the physician heal thyself part of my post.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Hmmm, questionable word choice. I suppose one could argue the term "immigrant" does not necessary imply a choice in the matter.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I'm going to channel Samuel L. Jackson for a moment.

"Technically? Technically my m:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: f:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :apple:$$!!"

While yes, 'technically' you could say slaves were people who came to live here permanently. The problem though is why those people came to live here permanently. In case you're wondering what that problem is.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow, dude. This statement is about as ignorant and idiotic as Carson's. Slaves were immigrants? bollocks.

You really need to read up on the Slave Trade, let alone visit Africa and that site that Obama did that was the start of the African side of the slave trade. You really don't have a bloody clue what you're talking about, and this statement sums up the ignorance.

BL.

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Isn't the root of immigrant 'migrate', and doesn't that imply some form of consent to undertake the journey?

I guess that chicken and those avocados immigrated to my stomach tonight.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    Human trafficking is NOT immigration. Never was, never will be.

14. weckart macrumors 68040

No, not immigrants. Slaves were imports. Commodities to be traded, used and disposed of by their purchasers like any other imported good. Immigrants would imply that they were regarded as human beings with all the rights and responsibilities that the word implies.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Fat chance.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Breath-taking thread, not just for the extraordinarily fatuous remarks made by Ben Carson, but for some of the more delusional posts that follow.

"Technically"?

No, they weren't. They weren't "immigrants" they were kidnapped and trafficked in appalling conditions of surpassing degradation and humiliation, the whole purpose being to strip them of their humanity and break them psychologically.

They were not even regarded as human, but as sub-human property, to be bought and sold and disposed of at will.

I have rarely read a post that appears to be so ignorant of the realities of American history.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only prerequisite for immigration to be defined is that a populace, plant or animal, has moved from one location to a new location that it was previously not found. Get off of your moral high horses, Ben Carsen is part of the populace that was brought here.

By your guys definition no children who were brought here without their consent would be considered immigrants. Consent or willingness does not define an immigrant.

You guys really need to work on your faux outrage about anything coming out of the Trump admin, it's getting old.

18. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

So Guantanamo Bay is the new Ellis Island?

Pull the other one Ben.

19. unlinked, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

unlinked macrumors 6502a

It would be kinda strange if choice was a requirement to be considered an immigrant.
    What would we call children who immigrate with their parents?

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I think context is important. I also think marginalizing or lumping slaves being brought into this country into the same "category" as true immigrants is in incredibly poor taste.

Ben Carsen being "part of the populace" doesn't excuse him being offensive.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As stated previously in my prior post Ben's characterisation of slaves as "dreamers" is disengenuous, no one doubts that there was slavery, but the end result is that there are populations of people in NA that wouldn't be here otherwise.

Perhaps it helps him deal with knowing that people were treated so badly to think that they had higher hopes for the future generations.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I would sincerely hope that "no one doubts that there was slavery" given that NA (North American, I presume?) split and fought a civil war on the fact that a number of states wished to break away in order to be able to construct - and maintain - a feudal society based on slavery.

Slavery - and the need to maintain it - drove the demand for "states' rights" - not the other way around.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Well, children who don't immigrate with their parents could be called 'orphans'. 'Ward of the state' would be another term. 'Abandoned' a third.

Now, would any of those terms apply to potential slaves who just stayed, unmolested, in their home countries, minding their own business?

Different situation.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Uh, where is the "we are all immigrants!" crowd?!? Did they exclude black descendants of slaves in their "all"?

In any case, awful choice of words but secretary Carson.