Secretary of State Kerry Breaks His Leg

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, May 31, 2015.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully his deputies will be up to speed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ohn-kerry-swiss-hospital-bike-crash/28255663/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What was he doing, chasing FIFA officials on a ten-speed?

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

4. Scepticalscribe, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I read this story and sighed. And the meeting he was supposed to attend - the purpose of the trip to Geneva - has now been postponed.

What on earth is it about this ludicrous obsession with appearing to be fit and healthy that some late middle aged men seem to have (or feel compelled to have)?

That, instead of doing something perfectly sensible such as curling up with a set of state papers and appropriate preparatory paperwork along with a nice glass of cognac or whisky, they must instead give the impression that they would prefer to do nothing better with their limited leisure hours than squeeze themselves into either cycling attire or a pair of running shorts and singlet and puff and pant their way to assumed fitness?

The relatively recent history of the country of Serbia, and its ill-fated experiences with middle aged men and energetic sporting activity should give pause for thought and some cause for concern…..

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To be fair, Kerry just has happened to be a biker for decades now. I think it's a fitness pastime he *actually* enjoys.

Wind-sailing however...well that was just bad PR all around. ;)

6. Scepticalscribe, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, now that you mention it, on reading about his accident I noticed that it had been written that he had been a dedicated cyclist for decades.

Still, for some strange, inexplicable reason, whenever I hear of middle aged men in the public eye and bicycles, the striking image of David Cameron (a picture taken in the years immediately prior to his first election victory) pedalling away, puffing gently, on an asphalt street in the middle of London, clad in cycling gear, and pursued, at a stately pace by his chauffeur driven Rolls-Royce, comes to mind. And stays there, unfortunately.

But yes, you are quite right to reprove me; Secretary of State Kerry is a genuine cyclist; I'll admit that. But now he is a genuine cyclist with a broken leg and a postponed meeting.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I heard that his accident was due to his bike taking it on the chin.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Ah the typical male mid life crisis. Some buy expensive sports car, some date daughter-aged girls, some try to be weekend warriors. It all because we feel the need to recapture the glory days of our youth.

Not this middle aged dude. My youth sucked.:mad: Being middle aged, I think and act Middle Aged (aka Medieval:p). I punished my kids by dressing them in motley:D; the pillory for serious offenses:mad: (I built a post in the front yard for that purpose:eek:). If that doesn't learn them, I go to their schools dressed in motley and tell EVERYONE I'm their father. Getting to embarrass our kids is one of the perks of being a parent.:cool::cool:

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

None of this isn't to say the man didn't try to pull that same crap in his elections....seriously John, get off the windsail, no one can relate to that.

10. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Good, they shoot horses don't they!

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When they say break a leg they don't mean literally.