Secretary of State Tillerson Plans to Skip NATO Meeting, Visit Russia in April

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

With all that is going on I would hope this story is not true as it only feeds the narrative even more.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...ip-nato-meeting-visit-russia-in-april-sources

What is with this administration? :confused:

And again with using Mar-a-largo to host the Chinese? Ugh. So so wrong.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When foreign leaders come here, they want to see the White House. They don't want to be shuffled off to some hotel. It's a slap in the face.

3. Nefilim Suspended

4. zin macrumors 6502

NATO meeting is beginning of April, Russia meeting is end of April. The article even says this and so does the part you pasted from it. The two aren't even remotely in conflict. Reuters is trying to push the Russian narrative with their FAKE NEWS headline.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....I firmly believe that the head representative of the State Department should be maintaining diplomatic means to avoid the war that so many across the spectrum are pushing for.

The ******** way these two events are being conflated only drives the Russian Boogeyman narrative, which in turn only dials up the heat on this new cold war.

There is nothing wrong with this mechanically speaking (State Department is our diplomacy arm and therefore SHOULD be meeting with those whom we have issues with), aside from the fact that it's essentially a meeting between Exxon and Gazprom.

6. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Your quick to jump on the FAKE NEWS sad little mantra is tiresome. If you actually read the article, it didn't say that the NATO and Russian meetings were the conflict. It stated that Tillerson is choosing to stay for the Chinese meeting. Also at this point any appearance of Russian favoritism, deserves some scrutiny and questioning.

BTW AP and Reuters are probably the least partisan news outlets that we currently have.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Zin specifically mentioned the headline and seeing as most people don't actually read beyond them, you'd understand how this kind of headline does nothing but contribute to the propaganda going around on Russia. When these stories get shared millions of times on social media people don't READ the stories thus such a headline only serves narrative shaping purposes. That was (clearly) his point.

8. zin macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm well aware the article doesn't state it. That was the whole point of my post. The headline, on the other hand, would lead any reasonable person to conclude that the U.S. Secretary of State is skipping a NATO meeting in favour of a Russia meeting in April when, in reality, the two events are not even remotely connected.

'Skipping to meet with China' doesn't really beef up the Russian boogeyman narrative, so I can see why they chose to put something unrelated to the decision to skip the NATO meeting in the headline and mislead readers.

9. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Ok point taken, but I still don't see how it says that one conflicted with the other, unless read in something else to it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The whole point of constructing a headline in such a way IS to conflate the two.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

One does have to admit that even morally, a visit by someone in the POTUS' administration to Russia in the midst of the ongoing hearings and investigations is cause for concern, possibly inappropriate, and in poor taste.

Tact is a trait that seems to be lost in the administration of the POTUS.

BL.

12. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No no no. The headline is not misleading and certainly not fake.

Is he skipping the NATO meeting? Yes. Is he attending a meeting with Russians? Yes. Are they both happening in April? Yes. Thus not fake.

Further, I even mentioned Mar-a-largo and the Chinese in my first post. If people can't read, and cannot follow a link and actually read and understand a story, well....they aren't doing things right. A headline...any headline..is not enough to go on.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    It's not just poor taste. It sends a message when you are meeting with Russia and China before meeting with our own allies and prioritizing over NATO. It just doesn't send a good signal.

But yeah, meeting with Russia considering the investigation this campaign/administration is under seems downright tone deaf and a stupid thing to do at the present time.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Careful guys, we wouldn't want a Detente breaking out, bad for business. :rolleyes:

14. zin macrumors 6502

I'd be concerned if the chief diplomat were avoiding international deliberations because of news reports.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We have a detente with Russia...

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Tell that to the members of the Senate Armed Services Committee, the Obama administration, the Bush administration, the think tanks, most of Congress, etc.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There are international sanctions on Russia related to Crimea. Maybe someone should remind Tillerson of that fact in case the State Department is so understaffed they didn't brief him on the old and "new" maps of Europe...

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In case the State Department is so understaffed? It is understaffed. And that is a big part of the problem. I alluded to this earlier in another thread.

Listening to The World, I heard something even more scary than the dumbfoundedness of the SoS going without any press.

The problem we have right now, and this is not due to the fault of Congress or the Senate, is that no-one is currently there to run the State Department now that the SoS is out of the country. There are no assistants or other people there to basically help run the department, field the press, or anything. This isn't because the Senate is dragging its feet with confirmation hearings, but the fact that Trump isn't going to fill those positions. He's already gone on record complaining about there being "too many people" at these offices and in government in general.

That leaves a big, yet scary rationale as to why. Either:

1. There is no-one minimally qualified to fill the position, who would be unrelentlessly loyal to Trump, who could be partial enough to get a Senate confirmation (a rather naive summation); or
    2. Trump does not want anyone there to cool the jets on something he wants to say or do, meaning that Trump says or does what he wants to do, without any check by any diplomats in his administration.
    A former assistant SoS was interviewed regarding this, believing that the latter was more true than the former, which definitely undermines the full faith established in the Presidency.

That truly is a problem, and may be one that the Oversight Committee should probably send a "please explain" letter to the White House.

BL.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well exactly... I regard myself as part of the oversight committee for management of my congressman, and asked him awhile back what he thought about failure to staff up agencies properly with deputies. LOL I'm "still waiting..." for something past the auto-acknowledgment of my inquiry.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea yea yea, we'll keep talking till the cows come home about Crimea, complete ignore the treaty that Russia and Ukraine have that allows for up to 30,000 troops to be deployed there (because of Russia's base there) and completely ignore that America's own covert actions (along with Voice of America) fostered the groups that sparked this whole mess, and that the US "interfered in the election" to literally choose the leader of the government there (Nuland caught on tape).

It's America, let's turn a blind eye to our own destabilization of the country because we've got a bigger boogeyman to chase.

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Huh. I didn't realize the treaty included a clause to shoot at one another and annex part of Ukraine and take it for Russia's own. Something they would have no problem doing to the rest of Ukraine.