Security Drags Man Off United Flight After He Refuses to Give Up Seat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

After United Airlines offered passengers $800 to give up their seats for 4 standby United employees (passengers were already on the plane), the crew randomly (yeah, right) picked four people to kick off of the flight. One man refused to leave and was dragged off. Why the employees weren't given a rental car to drive the 4.5 hours together to the destination is unknown? Anyway, its a PR nightmare. Video in story below:

http://gizmodo.com/hired-goon-drags-man-off-united-flight-after-he-refuses-1794168868

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is the same airline that imposed a bizarre dress code for some ten year olds? They're pretty ****ed.

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Unreal. I don't even know where to begin with this.

From the article:

"Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” a United spokesperson told Gizmodo. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities.”

How exactly do you "ask for volunteers" then say someone "refused to leave voluntarily"? This airline must be run by morons.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

1. United offered $800 and no one took it? I'm surprised.

2. Apparently "standby" doesn't mean what I thought ... that one stands by until an opening comes up.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

That is just fake news.
    They are the airline who imposed a dress code on people flying on discounted tickets available as part of an employee program.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Agreed. I would have taken it, and have before. Airline employees are usually bottom of the list for standby, not sure if a pilot has higher priority or not.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That was a completely different issue. They were flying under an employee benefit and had to abide by the employee rules.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It wasn't fake news. The incident did happen, and in the news sources I read the context was provided to inform the reader about the status of the passengers ticket.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

As far as I know, it still means that...provided you've already paid for a ticket. But it seems more difficult to do nowadays for some reason. Over the last couple of years it seems that airlines have moved towards trying to make people pay a fee to get a confirmed seat rather than letting people fly standby.

And (at least with Delta) your standby seat can be taken away and given to someone else who paid for a confirmed seat. But I guess that's all irrelevant when all they have to do is pay some thugs to come yank people off the plane. :confused:

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Was there a pilot involved? That would explain a lot.

11. webbuzz, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Not sure. I was thinking out loud. :(

eta:Saw a Tweet that claims it was a flight crew.

12. cube macrumors G5

They had a draw instead of offering more money.

13. Tech198 macrumors G4

Pretty bad...

What about this thing called 'freedom' or doesn't that apply on airliners?

My mate flew to Serbia,, and one of the passengers wanted to exchange seats with a seat at the tail wing (back of the plane)

he said 'no' Its kind of the reasons why seats are numbered for a reason as well, so i would blame security here for not understand that. It may be policy, but it anyone did that to me, i wouldn't fly them ever again and report them.

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

More info: according to the agreement you make when you book the flight, boarding a flight is not guaranteed. So if you are waiting to board, you can be denied the flight. However, this man was already on the flight of course. They had no legal right to kick him off.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How about ignoring the direction of a flight crew? No one took the $800 offer, the airline had to pick. He was one that was picked once told to deplane([​IMG] ) his refusal led to ignoring direction of flight crew.

Not saying it was right or wrong. Just walking it through using the airlines justification.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

What percentage of the people who heard of the event do you think knew what actually happened?

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's not fake news....it happened. They imposed a bizarre dress code on ten year olds. It may be part of their dress code for specific tickets, but it did happen. And really...it's ten year olds wearing leggings, which is extremely normal, not some fat hairy slob wearing a wife beater and a thong. Dumb rule and big overreaction by the airline.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No no you misunderstand - we know about the rules, we're all shocked at how severely it was applied to 10 year old children.

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The direction of the flight crew was wrong and maybe illegal according to the agreement on the ticket. At that point, someone should have made the decision to leave one of the stand bys behind.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How many people were able to read the information and comprehend it adequately?

I don't know ... the same as any other news item?

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

I would have refused also. Better to settle out of court for $1MM than $800 and a hotel. LOL

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

This guy knows what's up ;)

Always wait for the lawsuit opportunity: it's the American way :)

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This all stems from the weather cancellations for Delta in Atlanta. It puts tons of pressure on the other airlines.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Obvious solution: stop overbooking flights or accept that people might not volunteer to leave the flight. Play silly games with customers, wind up with no customers....