Security hole w/ lock screen camera shortcut?

f00f

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
Apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't find a similar post.

A friend of mine just posted this on FB:
For anyone who has updated IOS 5.1 -

Security bug in iOS5.1

With a locked phone, you can access your camera using the new shortcut, then from there access the camera roll, and then pressing the home button takes you you to the home screen bypassing any security passcode.

BAD BUG! iOS5.1.1 will hopefully soon be out!
One of his friends confirmed it, but others including myself have not been able to duplicate it.

Is anyone else here able to replicate it? I'm on a 4S and did a clean install of 5.1 via iTunes, setting up as a new phone. The only one of his friends who was able to replicate it happens to be on an iPhone 4. Maybe it only affects the 4?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can get back to the homescreen by clicking the home button if the time the passcode is the be set hasn't passed yet. Example, I set my passcode to lock at 5 minutes. At 3 minutes, I open the camera app via the lockscreen shortcut and click the home button. I get the homescreen. If I do this again but wait 6 minutes, I get the enter passcode screen instead of the homescreen.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You can get back to the homescreen by clicking the home button if the time the passcode is the be set hasn't passed yet. Example, I set my passcode to lock at 5 minutes. At 3 minutes, I open the camera app via the lockscreen shortcut and click the home button. I get the homescreen. If I do this again but wait 6 minutes, I get the enter passcode screen instead of the homescreen.
Same. Doubt it's a bug, just ignorance of users.

f00f

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
Same. Doubt it's a bug, just ignorance of users.
And you both are on an iPhone 4, correct? Yes, clearly if the passcode timer hasn't elapsed it's not going to require passcode. :eek: Rocket science!

There are now two people claiming this is a bug, both on an iPhone 4, both of them assuring their passcode timers have elapsed. I don't have an iPhone 4 and it seemed important enough to post the question of its validity.

f00f

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
My 4S, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 4G all work as I described in the second post.
So... no idea about the iPhone 4 then? ;) I took the liberty of asking some iPhone 4 friends to try it. We shall see.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
So... no idea about the iPhone 4 then? ;) I took the liberty of asking some iPhone 4 friends to try it. We shall see.
they all run the same operating system, so it doesn't matter what kind of iphone it is

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
I have an iPhone 4 running IOS 5.1 and I could not replicate the "bug". It required my passcode every time.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
It's not a bug. Like others have stated, if the time passed then it no longer works and brings you back to the lock screen.

f00f

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
It's not a bug. Like others have stated, if the time passed then it no longer works and brings you back to the lock screen.
Yep I understand that, but I was getting information from multiple sources, a few I know & trust IRL (co-workers). Turns out they are just "ignorant users" after all.

FWIW the iMore thread links to a 9to5 post about the subject, which in turn was debunked. Case closed.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/08/in-ios-5-1-major-security-flaw-with-the-new-lock-screen-camera-slider/

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
ok I waited after :15 mins (that is what my pass code is set for) and used the camera short cut, clicked on the camera roll (it actually showed nothing due to it was locked) clicked on the home screen and it asked me for my pass code. I couldn't do anything besides take a picture so no hole at all. I also have a 4 and 4s (1 personal and 1 for work) and both did this. There is NO bug or hole. :rolleyes:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Nah, it's just that there's no instruction manual. I've been looking on how to delete individual photos from Photo Stream photos from my ATV. You eventually stumble on the right answer. :(