Security hole w/ lock screen camera shortcut?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by f00f, Mar 10, 2012.

1. f00f macrumors 65816

Apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't find a similar post.

A friend of mine just posted this on FB:
    One of his friends confirmed it, but others including myself have not been able to duplicate it.

Is anyone else here able to replicate it? I'm on a 4S and did a clean install of 5.1 via iTunes, setting up as a new phone. The only one of his friends who was able to replicate it happens to be on an iPhone 4. Maybe it only affects the 4?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can get back to the homescreen by clicking the home button if the time the passcode is the be set hasn't passed yet. Example, I set my passcode to lock at 5 minutes. At 3 minutes, I open the camera app via the lockscreen shortcut and click the home button. I get the homescreen. If I do this again but wait 6 minutes, I get the enter passcode screen instead of the homescreen.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Same. Doubt it's a bug, just ignorance of users.

4. f00f thread starter macrumors 65816

And you both are on an iPhone 4, correct? Yes, clearly if the passcode timer hasn't elapsed it's not going to require passcode. :eek: Rocket science!

There are now two people claiming this is a bug, both on an iPhone 4, both of them assuring their passcode timers have elapsed. I don't have an iPhone 4 and it seemed important enough to post the question of its validity.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My 4S, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 4G all work as I described in the second post.

6. f00f thread starter macrumors 65816

So... no idea about the iPhone 4 then? ;) I took the liberty of asking some iPhone 4 friends to try it. We shall see.

7. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Just tested an iPhone 4 (os 5.1), albeit the first three timeframes, and I'm not experiencing any bugs.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

they all run the same operating system, so it doesn't matter what kind of iphone it is

9. Shield macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 running IOS 5.1 and I could not replicate the "bug". It required my passcode every time.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

11. Rennir macrumors 6502

It's not a bug. Like others have stated, if the time passed then it no longer works and brings you back to the lock screen.

12. f00f thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep I understand that, but I was getting information from multiple sources, a few I know & trust IRL (co-workers). Turns out they are just "ignorant users" after all.

FWIW the iMore thread links to a 9to5 post about the subject, which in turn was debunked. Case closed.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/08/in-ios-5-1-major-security-flaw-with-the-new-lock-screen-camera-slider/

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

ok I waited after :15 mins (that is what my pass code is set for) and used the camera short cut, clicked on the camera roll (it actually showed nothing due to it was locked) clicked on the home screen and it asked me for my pass code. I couldn't do anything besides take a picture so no hole at all. I also have a 4 and 4s (1 personal and 1 for work) and both did this. There is NO bug or hole. :rolleyes:

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nah, it's just that there's no instruction manual. I've been looking on how to delete individual photos from Photo Stream photos from my ATV. You eventually stumble on the right answer. :(